Fuel problem using shell nitro

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Fuel problem using shell nitro

Post by Xcfjohn »

So filled my bike up this morning with that new shell nitro. After a few hours my bike would not start after stopping. And we had to push start it I had spark and just been serviced my buddy said it must be the new fuel because it's the only thing I've done different since riding last time. So got home dumped out the shell gas and put in normal premium and it fire right up as normal what could be the issue with that gas?

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fuel problem using shell nitro

Post by takethebounce »

The "new" Nitro fuel is essentially re branded V-Power with additional detergent additives. None of the additives should cause any issues with the performance of your bike. It is also a non ethanol fuel and I typically run Shell fuel due to it being non ethanol.

That being said, Shell has had a history of adding additives which have reportedly had longer term negative effects on some fuel systems. I quickly searched for some web proof of this but I didn't turn up anything recent.

Unless there was clear visual evidence of something like water in the fuel, which you would be able to see if you drained it into a jug or jar from the bottom of the tank, I do not imagine this was a fuel issue. Water is denser than fuel. Then add fuel preferably from the top of the tank or from another fresh source. If there is water in it you will see the separation. I have seen this before.

Its a four stroke? The EFI bikes have a fuel filter I believe. If you have a newer bike have you checked that as I have seen a small handful of filter issues on KTM's, not a lot but a few.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I was a part of the group that had a fuel pump burn out while using strictly shell v-power in a nissan years ago. I didn't have the prerequisite receipts to prove my case and was declined...

I may steer away from the new stuff until I hear more good reports from a 2 stroke owner.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

V-Power every time. Works fine.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

You have a motor that was designed during WWII, that Husky would run on Bunker C & Pam Cooking Spray. :smirk:
Bikeless....

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

It's sounds like you're saying that's a bad thing. I'm going to see Mad Max tonight. Maybe I'll see my bike there, pretty sure there won't be a KTHusqaberg in it...
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

erniebearskin wrote:You have a motor that was designed during WWII, that Husky would run on Bunker C & Pam Cooking Spray. :smirk:
That made my day!!!!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

Interesting post. I usually use Shell premium gasoline in my bike and had my fuel pump burn out last year on my ktm 450. I wonder if there is any correlation? KTM was awesome and warrantied the item!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

the Shell fuel pump issue was back in 2002. Likely not the cause of the failure on the new 450.

http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2004/01/0 ... as-claims/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ahamay
User
User

Post by Ahamay »

Everyone keeps focusing on fuel. Might it be that the valves are too tight when hot and just doesn't like to hot start...
If shell starts it cold it will start it hot.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

My experience has always been, if the intake valves are a bit too tight the bike will start really hard cold and fine when hot. Checking valves is seasonal maintenance anyway so do it anyway.
#Z3B

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

This is the thing my bike was running fine no problems at all before using this fuel. It stated fine from cold and hot with the electric start.

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

So I went out for a ride today about 4 hours. My bike ran fine with no changes apart from fuel. I put in co-op premium stated fine from hot compared to not starting at all last ride. My buddy who I ride with is sure in the octane rating delayed combustion so I wouldn't start any thoughts on this? As the fuel is the only thing I have changed.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I can't help much but I use Coop Premium all the time in my bike. I wonder who's gas that Coop uses? I thought it might have been Shell.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I am starting to get some really weird plug fouling and am wondering if this new Shell fuel is it... My bike is jetted lean and I haven't fouled a plug in years. I have new reeds, a good top end and run an SX head. Nothing has changed in my bike, except the fuel.... I fill up at the same 2 shell locations for my bike fuel.

It starts cold. runs for 10 seconds and fouls a plug. toss a new plug in and it runs great for the day. The next morning, same thing. starts first kick, runs good and fouls a plug... I have pulled the carb, cleaned it, replaced a pilot jet and reed valves unnecessarily and still am fighting this plug fouling. next stop Coop fuel to see if this sorts it out. :thumbsdown: