2007 KTM 250 XCF-W

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

2007 KTM 250 XCF-W

Post by GWsXR250R »

Gentlemen,
I have purchased a new (to me) bike! I know I know I said Honda this Honda that but after talking to some guys in the club and other forums I broadened my horizons and got a smoking deal on a KTM.

I am looking to get it set up for me over the next week or so and was hoping someone might have some input on modifications or things I should watch for on this year and style of bike.
-it has 181hrs
-new battery as of last season
-JD jet kit
-valve clearances haven't been checked in 4 years! I have my mechanic giving it a once over as we speak.
Other than that she's plain Jane stock.

Any suggestions for tire's, suspension settings, oil type (Motorex Synthetic? is there something better?), and maintenance schedules for things I should be taking care of most frequently.

Any feed back would be great! Super siked to go RIP! :D

GW

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2007 KTM 250 XCF-W

Post by axel99 »

Just run Shell Rotella 10-40w motor oil, its JASO MA certified, change it after 4 or 5 solid rides, as good as any over priced 4T speciality synthetic. If you winter ride then rotela T6 synthetic is nice for a easier sub-zero cold start. I recall some really good posts on the forum about bike set-up, so you should do some searching on this forum.
- Rad Guards
- Bark busters
- skid plate
- set the sag and respring for you weight.
- make sure you are running Heavy Duty tubes( I prefer Moose brand tubes), flats suck and tubes wear out
- lots of gas :thumbsup:

If the valves were not checked in 4 years, I would wonder about what about the oil change in the forks and shock.

Congrats on the orange bike, unfortunatly you won't stand out in this crowd on a KTM :lol:
#Z3B

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

The valves are likely fine these bikes are known for requiring very little in the way of valve adjustments. All the same I would check them for peace of mind. You may wish to consider getting an aftermarket timing chain tensioner, the hydraulic ones are known to fail which can result in significant engine damage.

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Thanks for the input guys!

Any thoughts on a good set of rubber?

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Looking for a nice tool kit to throw in my pack or one I can fit in the bike.

Anyone have any suggestions or good place to pick on up?

Thanks

GW