4CS Forks

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

4CS Forks

Post by trailguy »

I have been testing these with Don at Pro-Action for over a year now and its been arduous task to say the least. Seems heavier riders get along with them better than middle & light weight riders and the KTM Six-days and Husky versions are slightly better than the KTM XC versions. On my XC forks the issue with lack of small bump plushness, mid-stroke harshness, hydraulic locking on consecutive bumps ( esp. root clusters ), deflecting, then the forks blowing through the last part of there travel to a nice metel to metal clunk has been a challenge. We got them alot better last year but still not at the level of the PA CC Bladder forks. With the new PA pistons for them this year there was hope to get them on par with the Bladder forks, but the results were still not there. After my less than favorable review of the PA pistons Don completely stripped my forks down and decided to make some drastic modifications to the base and mid-valve ( and this wasn't playing musical chairs with the shim stacks as we had already exhausted that option ). Although still in the intial part of testing these, I've been amazed at the results. I did a huge loop on the weekend with everything from dry rocky terrain to wet muddy roots to several K of snow cover rocks and roots and the forks were amazing, no deflecting, hydraulic locking or mid stroke harshness. They were very plush on the rocks and roots and did not dive going into corners, down hills or blow through the last part of the travel. If there is one negative to the PA Bladder forks its they move alot in the first half of the travel, but this is a minor complaint for how well they work in the bush, this current 4CS set-up has alot less movement and stay "up" in the travel better but are on par as far as plushness. On the Moto track they were very impressive as well, I did bottom a couple of times on some big G-outs but going in 2 clicks on Compression helped the bottoming. This was the first time in all my testing with these that the clickers actually did anything. Turning the clickers to improve small bump plushness is useless and does nothing as the clickers are connected to the Mid valve, not the Base valve.
I have the option of racing/riding with my current PA 4CS set up or a set of PA Bladder for this year - the 4CS forks are staying on my bike they that good.
Thanks Don for sticking with trying to continually improve these as I've lost count on how many times I've given you these forks back with less than favorable reviews. Its nice you've nailed these with so many suspension tuners continuing to struggle to figure these forks out. :cheers:

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 4CS Forks

Post by malcolmzilla »

Hit and miss on these.

My 14 TE250 4CS's were great, locally, all I did was .44's and +20mm oil.
Coulda used more spring at speed tho, went with BFD recommendation,

I am blowing thru the valving on your tradesies, with .50's. :thinking:

So I have a Kreft Balanced Bleed System, and custom valve shim set, coming for the 570.
http://kreftmoto.com/your-4cs-headquarters/
I'm no tuner by any means, hope I am up for the installation, converts both sides to full comp and rebound adjustment, will report back.

Now, the YZFX Kayaba SSS, wow, so good, .50's (out of a 4CS with some spacers, and -15cc oil). Roots, chop, babyheads, even the track, good at it all.

Wondering if the bib mousses help too - less "rebounding" from the tire to deal with? Just bibbed the 570 front too now.

Watching eBay for a take off set of SSS... Some threads on thumpertalk of adapting to the euro bikes....

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Don just redid my 4CS with the new valving, wondering if it got the full Trailguy treatment? The 4CS on FE350 feel way way way better than on my TE250, maybe its a 2T versus 4T thing.

The KYB's on the YZFX dont mater much to me becuase I wont buy a bike if I cant touch the ground!! :smirk:
Bikeless....

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Good to hear you've had good luck with the new settings and valving.

Do you know if PA is backing this or is it Don's own work that he is hanging on to?
The voices are back. Awesome!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Brass wrote:Good to hear you've had good luck with the new settings and valving.

Do you know if PA is backing this or is it Don's own work that he is hanging on to?
Not sure in that regard, you would have to ask Don.

Dave8444
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave8444 »

I bought a twin cone kit for the forks. It removes the internals and replaces them. It really works well I would recommend it to any one.
Dave

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Just for my curiousity whats that worth Dave?
Bikeless....

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

These new 4cs's have been a struggle. Glad to hear that you finally got to a that warm fuzzy place Dylan. :thumbsup:

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

Thanks Dylan for all your testing work with Don!

I just finished testing my 2014 350 XCF fork with the "Dylan" setup and I really like it. I know that the cone on my 2014 fork is a bit different than the 2015 4CS, but I found the setting worked really well. Don initially set me up with a more base line setup and it just wasn't feeling right for me. I found the mid stroke to be too soft and it was a bit harsh on the initial hit. It was nice to have the local support. Thanks Don!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Thanks Mike and Zeal, sure nice to have these finally dialed. :cheers:

sydor555
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sydor555 »

I have some Big boy springs for this fork for sale... 0.54.

Tell me what they are worth? Anyone need them?

Call me, 780.951.486