I'm so embarrassed I have to ask this...

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

I'm so embarrassed I have to ask this...

Post by giantjoe »

So as some of you know I haven't ridden a ton the last couple years. i.e. I haven't had to change my rear tire for a loooong time...

So to my question; my rear axle is pretty much seized to the bearings. I've tried brute force combined with PB blaster to no avail. I was thinking that maybe I could buy some dry ice and pack the axle with it to shrink it a bit and then try to pound it out.

Any other brilliant ideas?
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: I'm so embarrassed I have to ask this...

Post by cerealkiller »

It's stuck as in you can't hammer out your axle to remove your wheel from the bike? Yikes!

I would try bracing your swingarm against something sturdy to absorb the impact (like a big tree) and hitting it with an even larger hammer. It has to come loose eventually.
-Jared
#44b

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

You could use a tiny blowtorch and a big hammer with big @ss bar. Chances are the bearings are pooched anyhow.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Before you go any further I would try my a liquid wrench cocktail of 50/50 Acetone/Automatic tranny fluid, this stuff is amazing. Lay the bike on its side and apply the LW often for a day or two, flip the bike and repeat. This is worth a shot before you have to possibly purchase an axle, hub and swingarm from beating on them.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Better think about that swing arm pivot bolt also. It probably has suffered the same fate. It will need to come out if you ever need to do a bottom end. All suspension bearings and steering head bearings should be cleaned and repacked at the end of every season. Always apply a thin coat of grease to axels a and swing arm pivot bolts.
#Z3B

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

All bolts should be covered in duct tape Prior to installation.

What I'm curious about is the wear you are getting. I was sure that the tracks on those tanks would last longer than a couple seasons.... :)
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

While trailguy's liquid wrench is penetrating maybe secure a very large c clamp that will span the axle plus a couple of 2x4s plus a pushing bumper. Drill a large enough hole thru one 2x4; the hole is to allow the axle some relief to get thru. The solid 2x4 is something for the c clamp to react against. You will likely need some sort of damage prevention bumper/spacer on the nut side of the axle to push on so as not to damage the axle.

I suspect the axles are aluminum but I could be wrong. If they are aluminum, they are easy to damage. Maybe folks know here. If steel, much harder to damage.

Good luck!

blacksheep
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by blacksheep »

Another product that works well for soaking corroded parts is brake fluid. You can speed up the process by using a heat gun in between applications, Heat promotes the fluid to penetrate over just creeping.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I'm so appreciative of your help so far guys. I have been able to move the axle somewhat, approx 1 1/2" total movement before it decided to stop for good. I'll start with some of these ideas on Monday. Hopefully I'll get it free before my new bearings and brakes show up.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Hacksaw and buy a new one. If it's that badly seized it won't match well on new bearings anyways unless you can get it on a lathe to clean it up.

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Any luck Joe? I had the same problem with my old Husky shortly after I bought it. I seem to remember that it had 3 bearings in there. Lots of different penetrating fluids, numerous heating and cooling cycles and then about an hour with an air hammer finally got it out. I had the best luck laying it on its side and using wood blocks under the swingarm to hold everything off the ground and then just leaning on the air hammer. Use an old socket against the axle Your bearings and your axle are already toast. Only thing you can do now is not damage your hub. Once mine started moving it got easier. Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

SUCCESS!

Post by giantjoe »

Update: either I was being a girl about it, or Dylan's concoction is miraculous because I got it out without too much effort. I have been adding the lubricant a few times a day since Wednesday. I braced the swing arm with a 4x4, grabbed a chunk of broom handle, a small hammer and got at it. It only took a few minutes to get it out. Not much of an issue at all. The spacer/mount for the caliper had some blue sludge (actually sludge, not one of Dave's swear censors ;) ) on it but I couldn't really see any particular issue causing the binding.

Thanks for your help guys, biking season is only a couple weeks away!

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

:applause: good to hear!
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

brentg
Writer
Writer

Re: SUCCESS!

Post by brentg »

giantjoe wrote:Update: either I was being a girl about it, or Dylan's concoction is miraculous because I got it out without too much effort. I have been adding the lubricant a few times a day since Wednesday. I braced the swing arm with a 4x4, grabbed a chunk of broom handle, a small hammer and got at it. It only took a few minutes to get it out. Not much of an issue at all. The spacer/mount for the caliper had some blue sludge (actually sludge, not one of Dave's swear censors ;) ) on it but I couldn't really see any particular issue causing the binding.

Thanks for your help guys, biking season is only a couple weeks away!

Great news Joe. When are we riding???
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W