Scotts Stainless Filter

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Scotts Stainless Filter

Post by Rider Eh! »

Has anyone used one of these? Curious if anyone has had issues, and if they work in winter riding conditions.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Scotts Stainless Filter

Post by cerealkiller »

I used one on my last bike. There are many, many opinions on whether they're better or worse for your bike.

Those suggesting it's better point out they capture all the particles over a certain size (5 microns I think?), whereas a paper filter is less consistent - capturing smaller stuff sometimes, but also passing particles that are larger.

It's cheaper overall, but also kind've a pain to have to clean the stainless filter. Much easier to just throw away a paper one. I don't use one now just because of the hassle.

I kind've liked being able to blow it out with some compressed air onto a towel to keep an eye on what was being filtered out of my engine. You could cut open a paper filter too, but blowin it out onto a towel makes stuff easier to spot.
-Jared
#44b

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I use 'em, after break in. Like the easy cleaning, and reuse. Visuals as Jared said.
Have had Flo and Scotts brands.
Yammie has a steel mesh version in OEM part number now too.

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

I had one a while back and got tired of cleaning it, I like tossing my old paper one and putting in a new.
If its good enough to be OEM, its good enough for me.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT