2012 KTM 300xc electric start - won't start?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
JKnight
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

2012 KTM 300xc electric start - won't start?

Post by JKnight »

At the end of last year riding season, I bought a new YUASA YTX5L-BS battery off our forum and I heard that these types of batteries (unlike the Ballistics, etc. type - lithium?) don't always start the bike cold, but work OK once the bike has been running a bit. When I was testing it last year, I got very little turn over and it failed to start when I tried to use the electric start. I did not have a working electric starter for the last year and a half (have kickstart, but stalling (OK crashing :blush: ) on hills would make electric a desire for this year :) ) so wondering if the starter or something ever need maintenance or cleaning, etc? How do you know if it has failed and needs complete replacement versus just some internal parts? Or is it just the battery and I should get a Ballistic type battery (I would hate to spend the $ on it only to still find out the issue is something else)
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2012 KTM 300xc electric start - won't start?

Post by dirtyboy »

The brushes in the starter motor wear out. Also the Armature in the starter motor goes bad after a while. If it turns the engine over slowly I would guess the armature is shot. You can mess around trying to fix it or bite the bullet and get another starter motor. It's a pricey part.

Maybe talk someone with another 2 stroke into letting you try their starter motor? Then you'll know for sure if the motor will fix your issues.

redrider
Writer
Writer

Post by redrider »

You may want to check into the starter rebuild kits on eBay, they are less expensive. I rebuilt the starter on my 2009 KTM XC with success. I also added a fresh Lithium battery with the most cranking amps I could find and the bike started reasonably well for me though the year. At times it required a couple of shots of the button but usually worked well the first time.

Keep in mind these starters are a weak point on these bikes and are actually re-starters, so to be used after the bike has initially been started and warmed.

Which ever way you go I hope you get the happy button working again as it is glorious for starting on the steep stuff.

Enjoy the riding season! :D

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Take it back to the guy you bought it from and tell him to fix it. On second thought, maybe it's that guys maintenance practices that are the culprit here. :thinking:
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

JKnight
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JKnight »

Thanks for all the info guys, it was tested again the other day after sitting again for the last few months on trickle charger and all seemed to be working. So that confirmed my starter was OK and the battery seemed to be OK too. I have to assume that when I initially tried it out, the battery may not have been at optimal charge level or something. Anyways, i'll keep an eye on it as it's one less thing now that has been ruled out as not being failed component, and only need to use it as a re-starter once warmed up. Here's hoping the weather improves as this weekend is supposed to be warmer, so hoping to get out for a first ride of the year. And Scott, the prior owner was very helpful! :smirk: