Bar risers

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Canadian
User
User

Bar risers

Post by Canadian »

I've been thinking about changing my bike setup a little and wonder if I could get some feedback here. I've been using bar risers (3/4") for many years now with generally positive thoughts about them. My current setup is as follows:

-'13 300 xc-w
-3/4" riser
-stock seat
-stock pegs
-5'10" 200#

Finished off last season on a down-note and am thinking that I need a change. If I were to install the full stack (1-1/8") riser, would this encourage me to stand more? What are the consequences of too high a bar? I've gotten lazy as the years go by, and do a lot of seated riding now. What else could I do to improve ergo's and force myself to stand (don't say self discipline!). Right now I feel like I'm leaning forward too far when I stand. Are low pegs the answer? Low seat?

Thoughts?

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bar risers

Post by Braap791 »

You could add the bigger bar risers and you could also roll your handlebars forward a bit to force you to stand up. Or you could take your seat off and force your self to "trials" a ride day :D

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

You could install Ape Hanger Bars from a Harley and it still won't force you to stand. Sitting and or standing is a habit. I'm 5'9, no riser, standard tilt to the bars, low seat, stock pegs.
I stand all the time, for everything. How do you break a habit, discipline. :D

Standing up on a bike seems uncomfortable for some maybe because they think that they should be standing upright. If I stand upright on my bike I cant reach the bars.
Proper form for standing on a bike is a slight bend to the knees, waste, and elbows, head up looking down the trail, the rougher it gets the more you bend (elbows out). Takes time to get comfortable with it.

You think you may be leaning to far forward. Try this. Put your bike on a bike stand. Stand on it using the proper form. Let go of the bars, if you fall on your nose, yep your leaning to far forward,
and that also tells you that you are leaning on your bars with your arms. Another habit. Lean on your legs, not your arms, and that should put you in the proper position.
Yup. Got a new one.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Buy a set of studded tires, that will help you ride standing up.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I stand a fair amount - pretty much constantly except for when climbing hills and chasing traction, or when I am too tired to climb standing.

I have a low seat and a sub-mount which raises the stock bar. I am your height and weight but I have short legs and long arms - kinda 60/40. I found when I added the sub mount it brought my hands up enough that the muscles between my shoulder blades were dramatically more activated and tense after the very first race (which was VERY long). Since then I believe this setup has contributed to better "shoulder back" posture and better strength in that area.

The interesting thing is that my hands, arms, and shoulders changed when I raised the bar, presumable because my spine and head position didn't. My stance reality check is I can look down and see the fender right in front of the headlight - my head is right over the bar pad.

Hope that helps.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Remembering to squeeze the bike with your legs helps me stand. I find I get sore knees, arm pump and fall back into sitting position more if I get lazy with gripping the bike with my knees
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I am 6'4" dont use risers and stand where I need to and sit when I can. Beware of rolling bars to far forward, causes wrist and elbow fatigue for me. Like mentioned, focus on squeezing the bike with you knees. I run fastway pegs in the lower position and tilted in to make it easier for me to squeeze with my knees. golarge has some good advice in his post. Adjust all controls for most comfort in the standing position.