Dunlop AT81

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
blacksheep
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Dunlop AT81

Post by blacksheep »

Has anyone tried a front Dunlop 81 with a michelin or golden mousse? If so how was the performance?

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Dunlop AT81

Post by RJHenry »

Haven't run with a mousse, but with a HD tube (usually 10 psi) and a Tubliss (usually 7-8 psi). I wore out both this year.

The tire was a good performer. I felt when it started to get rounded, it would slide a bit more but gently enough I was able to recover without tucking.

I think the low pressure and the resulting flex worked the shoulder knobs right off of it. See this post:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10873&p=78062&hilit=AT81#p78062

I have thought about this failure, and from what I know about the AT81 rear and how it wears, I think that Dunlop aimed this product at the "middle" off road market - which for most of the world demands higher speeds and pressures. Our gnarliness, as glorious as it is, simply isn't in the middle ground and I am not sure the AT81 is optimized for our use. I am trying something else this year - will see how it goes!

Enjoy!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350