KTM Carb Heater Install

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: KTM Carb Heater Install

Post by cedric »

thirtyseven wrote:When I get a 2 stroke I'm going to use up my supply of depends well meaning friends gave me. Just insert a warm rock and wrap that sucker around the carb.
How's this setup working for you 37? Do you need more Depends? Christmas is coming up....

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

cedric wrote:
thirtyseven wrote:When I get a 2 stroke I'm going to use up my supply of depends well meaning friends gave me. Just insert a warm rock and wrap that sucker around the carb.
How's this setup working for you 37? Do you need more Depends? Christmas is coming up....
I'm still trying to figure out the jetting thing. Gonna move on to the depends after I get the mikuni sorted.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

thirtyseven wrote:
cedric wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out the jetting thing. Gonna move on to the depends after I get the mikuni sorted.
Why on earth did you leave the flawless running EFI three seven :eek:
A couple of things sorting the Mikuni.
1] Warm up your pitching arm really well.
2] Remove Mikuni from the bike.
3] Standing on a shore line, chuck the Mikuni into the the center of the lake as hard as you can.
4] Bolt on short body Keihin.
Mikuni sorted and this gets you onto the Depends project ASAP.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Ok. Got it!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Thanks for the pics and notes for install DB. I just picked mine up from Allison @ Cycleworks and need to get to work on it. Was the wiring plug and play just like the old one?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:Thanks for the pics and notes for install DB. I just picked mine up from Allison @ Cycleworks and need to get to work on it. Was the wiring plug and play just like the old one?
Hey, I just installed a new set of grip heaters on my KTM 250XC. Works awesome. As for the carb heater, yes it's plug and play. I think that the wiring harness is the same as the older <2017 models.

I wondered if the carb heater was low on watts when I had my grip heaters on high today. Lot's of snow hitting the carb. I turned the grip heaters to low and the over-richness of the carb went away. Not positive on that but I think the carb heater is a requirement although one of the riders today didn't have one on his 2017 250XC and he didn't have much trouble.

My advice is to drill the hole as far to the outside of the carb as possible and no issues with the hole and a couple washers to space the heater element.

GKRContracting

Post by GKRContracting »

Bringing back an old thread. I want to install a KTM carb heater element in a Keihin FCR carb but not clear on where it goes because the obvious hole is already too large an I.D. for the thread size of the element. I could drill and tap what's left at the bottom of the hole but very little material left there. What gives?
I could put a helicoil in and that would likely work well but am I missing something?
Here's a pic of where I assume it goes.
Attachments
IMG_4321.PNG
IMG_4322.PNG

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Is there a flat landing cast in the other side of the Venturi? Post a pic. Just did mine, albeit a CV Kehin (pinger).
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

GKRContracting

Post by GKRContracting »

No, nothing suitable on the other side. Here is a pic. The small boss you see there is too small, thread size of the heater element is larger than the OD of that boss.
IMG_4327.JPG

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Hmm. I’m stumped. I’d reckon the boss in your 1st set of pictures is the best location. If you’re comfortable helicoil, otherwise maybe drill and tap some brass or aluminum stock that fits in there and epoxy; I think the heat transfer aspect is the key. I never had issues on my exc 530 or wr450 in the winter though. Maybe that nice big hot cylinder in front of it throws enough btus around!
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

GKRContracting

Post by GKRContracting »

Well I think the helicoil is be best route as it will promote the best heat transfer. Thanks for your input, I'll post up some pics of the completed install.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Never need heat on a 4t carb. If it's a snow bike maybe that's a different story. Others here have a lot of experience with snowbike setup. Wast of time for single track winter riding above -15c.
#Z3B

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

axel99 wrote:Never need heat on a 4t carb.
...or Betas!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

GKRContracting

Post by GKRContracting »

Yes it's for a Snowbike. Here is the helicoil results.
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4356.PNG
IMG_4357.PNG

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Yowsers! Well that oughta get the heat right into it! :D I thought you were simply helicoiling into the existing blind casting hole.

I will try to snap a pic later, but on the CV carb (2T), it doesn't tap thru to the venturi, rather into a casting off the side and the heat (theoretically) transfers.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70