Battery suggestions

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Battery suggestions

Post by bikingagain »

So my battery is not charging on my tender anymore and figured it might be time to replace it. Any suggestions. I do run a carb heater and heated grips, so I would like a decent one. Thanks
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Battery suggestions

Post by Brass »

It's not like you need the battery for starting a big block chevy so just buy a stock equivalent. $35 (ish). It has worked this long hasn't it!?!

If you're looking to save weight, buy some colon blow at the local drug store to take the day before you ride. That will drop the 2 pounds you would have saved by buying one of the big $$ batteries.
The voices are back. Awesome!

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

:lol: classy. Maybe that will make me faster :thinking:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The RMDRA does not condone the use of colon blow. :blush:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have run a ballistic battery for a few seasons now. I didn't buy it for the weight savings, but more to help turn over the big block husaberg that I owned at the time. I did move it over to the 300 and it was able to crank the bike over with a sx head (the stocker wouldn't).

And I for one would rather buy titanium than give up my jelly modern donuts....

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have had good luck with both the Ballistic and the Shorai, many years of abuse, and way lighter, more CCA's for same dimensions.
Ballistic, the terminals were reversed but I liked the brass threaded terminals.

If the dimensions are the same, put a bigger Shorai/Ballistic in where the oem one was, I put a 14 in place of my 7 Yuasa in the TE.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

+1, I've had good luck with the Ballistic and Shorai batteries. Don't put these types of batteries on the tender though.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I have a Turntech in the 450 and it has been flawless. They don't sell them anymore though.

I have heard good things about the EarthX battery though and I will replace the Turntech with it when the time comes. According to the EarthX website, the battery is equipped with a microprocessor that protects it from over charging, discharging, and short circuiting, plus it requires no special charger.

I have the lower power rated Turntech and I got it because I was only going to use the E-Start as a re-starter. Well, I never kick the bike and the battery has been great. Only in the coldest weather do I have to kick, and after warm up it works fine. The biggest advantage is the weight, it is crazy light compared to the stock battery. I know your 200 is light anyway, but lighter is usually better!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

cedric wrote:+1, I've had good luck with the Ballistic and Shorai batteries. Don't put these types of batteries on the tender though.
What do you use to charge a Ballistic or Shorai? I have one of each.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Theoretically you need a lithium charger. The lithium cells run a diffetent voltage than lead acid.
I did a lot of research on this topic recently and I would either use a Full Spectrum Power battery next or an earth x. The earth x had cheaper cells vs quality in the Full Spectrum, but had the benefits mentioned above with discharging. The reason lithium's fail is over discharge.
Full Spectrum is used by team KTM and has been around the longest in the racing scene.
I had a small 4 cell ballistic in my two stroke that worked well and I used a lead acid battery tender charger.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I've still got the Turntech I purchased +5yrs ago. My battery tender has a desulfate cycle which is reported to damage the lithium cells. But, I kick my bike and the battery still lives well enough. The starter never worked on this bike from day one even after having tried all the normal fixes.

I was wondering if anyone know if, for example, a Shorai battery charger is designed to properly charge a Shorai lithium battery?

I agree with Rider Eh!, my online research suggest the same, the charger is the key to a satisfactory ownership of a lithium battery.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Bark wrote:I was wondering if anyone know if, for example, a Shorai battery charger is designed to properly charge a Shorai lithium battery?
I have the Shorai charger, it is simply designed to charge each of the cells individually.Shorai lithium batteries are made up of groups of smaller voltage batteries, until they get to the voltage & CCA they want. My $0.02 is that if you need a charger, you're likely going to have issues. I'm on my 3rd Shorai, but the first two went in my 2s, and the third one has been flawless in my 4s. Funny thing is, when I had issues with my first two batteries, the repair process was to drain the battery and recharge using a standard trickle charger? I myself was wondering why I bought the fancy Shorai smart charger.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Under the left hand menu of this website, http://earthxmotorsports.com/our-batteries/, if you choose 'Battery Charging', it will give you a list of which chargers work with lithium batteries. It has a bias towards EarthX stuff, but works for comparison.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

There is a good argument that you shouldn't need a charger at all, the bike charges it for you anyways. Pull the battery in the winter and it should be fine as they don't drop charge like a lead acid. You can have a lithium battery 'freeze' on you due to long term storage but if you very quickly short it out it should work again.

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

I think a big plus to the lithium ions batteries is the warranty!! 3 years is pretty impressive to me! I have had experience selling all brands mentioned here, as well as Ive had atleast one warranty on each too... (not saying they are garbage, I sell large volumes of them so you are bound to get a lemon or two). I have personally run a Ballistic and an Anti Gravity in my bike (same as yours) and they where both amazing!!! And in my opinion as long as you disconnect the negative during storage periods you should never need to charge these batteries (as per their instruction sheet). If it needs a charge, it needs to be warrantied. My Ballistic was put in the bike in 2012, run for 1.5 seasons, switched into a quad last year and is still running strong, never charged. Anti Gravity has yet to fail on me either.
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW