Handle Bar choices

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Handle Bar choices

Post by RJHenry »

axel99 wrote:Not familiar with the BRP mount but I have had issues with other ruber mount setups where a good spill will deform the rubbers and make the bars feel bent. Loosen the mounts and inspect the rubbers to see if they are crushed. New rubbers should keep things within your allowance and the spouse happy :smirk:
I had the BRP mount and managed to bend the bolts that retain the elastomers and the "upper half" to which the bars are mounted. Made it a bit fussy to assemble, but wasn't ruined. Standard metric flange bolts - I bet Honda would be the easiest place to get them.

For what it is worth, I swtiched to the PHDS and have had a lot less trouble with vibration and numbness in my hands, even when riding very aggressively for multiple hours - at kooc and at fallen timber this fall. I did not have the same experience when I tried flexx bars. I wish I had read up a bit more or talked to the sage: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8121&hilit=phds

Some folks had softer elastomers come with the BRP sub mount... I would say at least worth a shot if you are replacing them. Carpal Tunnel Sucks!
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I would review the rubber mounts and the naked bar to see if the bars are actually bent. I'm guessing they aren't (as others have said). It might just be a case of disassemble and
reassemble with new bolts. I've had that happen to me on the rubber mounted ones. Good luck. Hope it is a cheap fix.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

dirtyboy wrote:I would review the rubber mounts and the naked bar to see if the bars are actually bent. I'm guessing they aren't (as others have said). It might just be a case of disassemble and
reassemble with new bolts. I've had that happen to me on the rubber mounted ones. Good luck. Hope it is a cheap fix.
They were definitely bent. I think we got them back close now.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

350scott wrote:They were definitely bent. I think we got them back close now.
:thinking: You straightened aluminum bars? Although I'm sure it was slight, could be bad? Nothing like hitting a jump and having one end snap off in your hand....

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

AJRJ wrote: :thinking: You straightened aluminum bars? Although I'm sure it was slight, could be bad? Nothing like hitting a jump and having one end snap off in your hand....
I understand your concern, although I'm not overly concerned. It was only slightly off (think 1/4") therefore the likelihood of microfractures is low. In fact there is a real possiblity that the bar is slightly stronger now due to work/strain hardening. In addition we did heat it and let it cool to anneal it. RJ-Please we stop typing, we don't need a long winded engineering lesson on work hardening and annealing. :D

Lastly, we're a bunch of off roaders, so by jump did you mean accidentally get your wheels six inches off the ground? And when I say 6 inches, well, I usually mean about 4 inches. :blush:
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

For those that say these bars are hard to bend, clearly you aren't doing it right!

I have a sizable collection in my garage that both myself and my wife have bent in the past couple years. I have noticed that since switching to the plastic KTM wrap around hand guards I bend less. Not sure if that is from the lack of a hard edge on the bar or crashing less or simply riding less :thinking:

FYI, the best method I have found for bending bars is for the rider to depart the bike from the rear while aggressively applying throttle when attempting to climb a rocky hill. The resulting loop out will generally bend the bars very effectively :crybaby:
The voices are back. Awesome!