Handle Bar choices

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Handle Bar choices

Post by bikingagain »

So for the first time I think I bent my handle bars :blush: . But aside from stock I don't know much about the different types. I have seen flex bars, fatter bars and different height bars. I have a rubber mount for mine, so don't think I need flex ones. Also, I don't want change to fat bars because I don't want to replace my mounts. And the height seems to be fine for me. Are the stock ones good or should I look at other name brands? Any input would help. Thanks. :D
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Handle Bar choices

Post by erniebearskin »

These are all the rage on the GasGas forum http://twistedengineering.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

$450 for handlebars and barkbusters? :eek:

Mike, your bike already has 1 1/8" bars stock no? Why not just get a pair of protaper contours or renthal fatbars? You should be able to find something close to the stock bend if that's what you like, and I'll bet they are cheaper than ordering from KTM.

Also, how did you manage to bend them? Bending 7/8ths bars is relatively common, but I've never seen anyone bend the 1 1/8" size.
-Jared
#44b

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Mike, you have just opened up a huge can of worms. Really, it's all about specific ergonomics to you and your bike. I like my Magura SX bars that came with my bike, but I'm sure I could benefit from a taller bar. You can change height, rake, length, diameter... You name it, there is a different fit for every rider. I'd say ask yourself if there are any issues you are having while riding? Sore wrists, elbows, too much arm pump, etc. If those are all no, don't change what you have, just buy the same thing again. If there are issues, do some research to see what recommendations you can find for particular issues, but it will be a bottomless pit of misinformation, and speculation.

Go to a store with your old bars in hand, and try to find something that is as comfortable, or something that feels nicer. Good Luck!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

patwill
User
User

Post by patwill »

Hey Mike I was curious about the sock bar bends, the ktm part number for the 13/14's is 7800200100017, and I found this chart that appears to e correct about the bends. http://www.ktmshop.se/documents/manuals ... 2.2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patrick
2014 KTM 200 XC-W

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

My suggestion -

_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

You most definitely already have oversize/fat/1.125" bars. There's a reason KTM's are more $$ than Honda's and this is one of them. Regardless, if you're not having issues with you current setup, just go get some Contour's and be done with it. And well done, the stock KTM bars take "skillz" to bend.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Pro taper contour KTM stock bend $80 on gnarly parts
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Thanks for the great input.

-$450 for a set of bars, I would have to get a bigger allowance :D
-Somehow I bent them in a right turn,while my tire decided to ride down the wrong side of a two inch branch on the ground. :blush:
- Glenn, I will leave those bars for Joe :smirk:
I think I have a better idea now of what to buy.

See you in the snow :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

bikingagain wrote:Thanks for the great input.

-$450 for a set of bars, I would have to get a bigger allowance :D
-Somehow I bent them in a right turn,while my tire decided to ride down the wrong side of a two inch branch on the ground. :blush:
- Glenn, I will leave those bars for Joe :smirk:
I think I have a better idea now of what to buy.

See you in the snow :thumbsup:
I'm not sure if this case is closed :D Mike you said you are running rubber mounted bars, so you have an after market top triple clamp, this is the only way to get rubber mounted bars on KTM's ( PHDS is not really rubber mounted ), are the clamps 7/8" ? this would make alot more sense on how you bent the bars just falling over in a turn, Fat bars are very very tough. Are you actually looking for a 7/8" bar replacement ?

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

They are not 7/8 bars. I didn't know mine where bigger :blush: I have a BRP rubber sub mount(with damper)and it is for the 28mm bars. I can't actually see the bend, it just feels off. I was just checking it and hoping the submount was off a bit, but couldnt see anything. The crash did sheer the bolt off, that holds my fastway bush guards on. Maybe something else is tweeked. I will take it apart today or tomorrow and see what I can find.
2018 KTM 300 xc

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Not familiar with the BRP mount but I have had issues with other ruber mount setups where a good spill will deform the rubbers and make the bars feel bent. Loosen the mounts and inspect the rubbers to see if they are crushed. New rubbers should keep things within your allowance and the spouse happy :smirk:
#Z3B

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I agree, had an RM250 back in the nineties that did this all the time. All I had to do was take it apart and reassemble straight.

That aside, I have bent stock KTM bars on a minor tipover too, it certainly can be done.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have a set of stock ktm nekens that you can try for fitment.
I am partial to the 08-11 wr450 bend, nice rise hardly any sweep.

I might be able to get yours straight via my vise and a long pin bar.
Pm me.

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

patwill wrote:Hey Mike I was curious about the sock bar bends, the ktm part number for the 13/14's is 7800200100017, and I found this chart that appears to e correct about the bends. http://www.ktmshop.se/documents/manuals ... 2.2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice find!
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350