How to install graphics

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

How to install graphics

Post by Rider Eh! »

Hoping someone can give me tips, I have a heat gun so have been using that, but my real question is if you stretch them out with the heat gun, will they shrink back or stay put? What about the reverse, if you smush them to remove bubbles at the edges will they grow back and just bubble?
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: How to install graphics

Post by erniebearskin »

You shouldn't need a heat gun, make sure your plastics are super clean and use application fluid and a squeegee. If they are decent quality graphics they will conform no problem
Bikeless....

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Re: Heat Gun - a little of both. If you overuse it you can permanently stretch the graphics, but moderate use helps a ton to get conformance and USUALLY they will stay put. I enlist a little help to get it pliable and work it across the panel thumb swipe by thumb swipe. With 20mil I can get a bit of heat induced shrinkage if I need it too.

Other points:
- ALWAYS get 20mil graphics - WAY easier to work with, more durable, worth every penny. If you get it crooked, you can peel the whole thing off and start over with 95% success - which is impossible with 15mil.
- Clean the plastics COMPLETELY with something that completely evaporates - brakeclean (or lacquer thinner I believe)
- I tend to avoid the application fluid - I found it made it harder, not easier, but your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

The second side went better than the first, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately only used windex on first side, but used brake clean on second side. I'll check it again today to see if any spots have came loose and go over again.
Attachments
IMG_20141006_205527.jpg
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

DoC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DoC »

Windex can actually eat away at the adhesive.

Agree the thicker material is worth the money. That's all we use at Decal Doctorz.
I'm stoked, 2 stroked!
http://www.decaldoctorz.com
http://www.facebook.com/decaldoctorz

Instagram: /gsxracing
Instagram: /decaldoctorz

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

This was 16 mil, kit was on sale so grabbed it. Good to know for next time though.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R