re jetting for winter

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
blackchrome
User
User

re jetting for winter

Post by blackchrome »

looking for some advice about re jetting a 2 stroke for winter
2012 husaberg te 250
162main
35 pilot
jd jetting red needle 4th position from top
fuel screw 1.5 turns out

3000 to 6000ft elevation
between 45 degrees to 80 degrees temp
bike runs awesome good pull throughout the whole rpm range, very little ooze out exhaust and plug is slightly black/brown color

winters same elevation but temperature is between 15 degrees to 40 degrees.

what should i change for the drop in temperatures to keep the bike running strong but not in a damaging way.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: re jetting for winter

Post by axel99 »

If you don't run a carb heater, forget about trying to jet your bike for temps below 5c, your bike will be running rich, spooging and fouling plugs. BTW I run the same jetting year round, Its never perfect but its always decent with a air screw adjustment.
#Z3B

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Unless you're lean in the summer you can get away with just Richening the air screw. The assumption is of course you are riding some nice single track and not holding it WFO. I used to richen the needle one clip, but I'm too lazy now, and there is too much duct tape to peel off the bike prior to being able to do any maintenance.

I ride similar elevations and from -10 to just over zero C (don't know what that is in F)
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Don't listen to Axel99, he gets all crazy when it gets cold and his still doesn't work so well. His carb gets all be fouled by the inferior product coming out of his "biofuelmachine".
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Temps mean nothing compared to humidity...in fact, I am tempted to say that humidity is more important even then elevation. So always judge humidity first...just sayin :D
In winter she's dry, go richer.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

thirtyseven wrote:Don't listen to Axel99, he gets all crazy when it gets cold and his still doesn't work so well. His carb gets all be fouled by the inferior product coming out of his "biofuelmachine".
Hahah.... that all makes sense to me. You need to be a little wacko to winter ride a 150xc. Just keepin it right side up and hands on the bars, livin the hillbilly dream.
#Z3B

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

thirtyseven wrote:Don't listen to Axel99, he gets all crazy when it gets cold and his still doesn't work so well. His carb gets all be fouled by the inferior product coming out of his "biofuelmachine".
Funny you mention biofuelmachine - I met a guy this weekend who runs a Toyota Sienna (not exactly late model :D ) on vegetable oil. But not in the the deep cold of winter. Apparenlty Mazola doesn't like -30.

Ever see Cars? Fillmore is real - not a word of a lie :lol:
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350