Carrying more fuel?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Carrying more fuel?

Post by SteveOg »

I'm hoping to race the Desert100 in WA in April. It's 2 fifty mile laps so you're able to refill after the first 50 miles. On a 2012 250XC, am I going to need to carry more fuel? I haven't riddden the bike enough to really know what I get for mileage, and I know fuel consumption out around McLean isn't going to be the same as it will be on a more open course. Plus, without an odometer, I have no idea how far I ride in a day anyways.

Will I need more than the stock tank? If so, what would you suggest for carrying more gas, and how much more? Thanks.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Carrying more fuel?

Post by malcolmzilla »

I think you may want to carry 2 litres, assuming an XC is ~11 litres. I would measure.
On the pipe in a race like that I think you will really suck back the premix.
This is assuming your jetting is good and efficient.
The MSR type bottles on sides of hydration pack are a decent option.
I can loan you a couple if you like.

I have gotten as much as 95km with a bit left in my 11 litre TE250 locally, but that's a lot of burbling along.
Good luck. :D

Edit: also loop your float overflow line up and over the carb then out the back to swingarm, this trick has proven 2-3 mpg on all my carbed bikes; theory is the spring loaded float still bounces in the rough and you overflow

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

I think it's got an 11 or 11.5L tank.

How would you carry the extra fuel? I've never seen a handlebar tank before, but have been reading a bit on those. I'd rather not spend a fortune on a replacement main tank, if possible.

All advice appreciated.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

MSR style bottles in your pack. If you don't need them on 1st loop then jettison at pits for second. As mentioned I have a few you can borrow.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Missed the bottle part in your first post. :blush:

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I'll probably pick up a couple myself if that's the route I end up going. I'd imagine I'll try and do a few of these races so I should probably be self contained.

Thanks! ....Steve

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

On my 2012 250XC, I could go 100km before hitting reserve. (Not sure how far reserve would take me) Didn't matter about race or trail ride. Having said that I think it has more to do with the riders style than the bike. None of my friends on that bike could go quite that far.

Use your phone with GPS app to track your distances. Endomondo is a good sports tracker. Just tell it you are mountain biking and it will track your route and allow you to download the GPS track from it's web site. (You need to sign up) It is free.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Wow, I'm surprised at the range. My plan is to ride it, and finish so I won't be running the bike that hard. After nearly two years off because of a crash, I'll be happy to make it to the end in one piece. I'm not a big guy (170lbs) so I may be ok on fuel.

Does that app need cell service, or do you find it worked ok out at McLean? I'll download it and give it a shot on Thursday.

Thanks for the info.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I usually put my phone in airplane mode before starting Endomondo. It only needs access to your GPS in the phone and it communicates with the GPS satellites. No cell signal needed. If it has internet access then the background map will be populated. If no Internet or cell signal, then there isn't any background map. But who cares about the background map when you are riding? Just leave it in your pack and switch it off when you get back to the truck. :thumbsup:

PS - It is possible to do a 100km loop at McLean. :D

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Pretty sure I'll go out on Thursday around noon and see what I can do.

I may be looking for a riding partner that day, if anyone's interested. I'm an OK rider trying to get the feel for the bike after a 2 year lay-off.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I bought an acerbis 3gallon tank for my 300Xc as I was only ever able to get 80km out of my 300XC on a dirtyboy ride. I am confident that I could get 100km easily at race pace with the tank. You feel the weight at first, but you don't notice the bike being any wider. This was a great investment and I now never worry about riding with these EFI 4 stroke punks as they give out before I run out of fuel....

Jetting is key though. I had a jetting issue the first day we were in Moab this spring and even with that new tank I borrowed 2 litres of fuel from a 250XC to get back to the truck....

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

Some friends of mine have been using the same 2 & 3 liter Platypus hydration bladders for years and when they empty them they just roll them up and fit them back in there packs.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

I am also in the market for a larger fuel tank for my wifes 150rb. Does anybody know if it makes a difference if you buy the Clarke or IMS tank? Are they generally the same fit and finish?