New Yamaha

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Yamaha

Post by dirtyboy »

malcolmzilla wrote:Right on. :thumbsup: Got a skidplate yet? :D

Unabiker is sending me redesigned braces for the fan side.
Rad guard/braces have paid off last two rides. :blush:

Tip: Clutch interrupt switch is a closed style switch when the lever its pulled. When you remove the harness at the conenctor, you leave it permanently open and while it cranks and starts late Saturday night on the stand in neutral, it doesn't when you are stalled out in a gnarly sidehill blowdown trap and you end up kicking the mofo the whole day. DOH
Brutal! :smirk:

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

thirtyseven wrote:Is "wicked" a technical term? This bike was wicked good today!!!!
It certainly is in Maine!

from The Wicked Good Guide to Mainah English http://webpages.charter.net/lorilady/glossary.html#W

"Wicked - adj., A general intensifier: "He's wicked nuts!"

Nice usage of the "general intensifier" thirtyseven! :cheers:
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Good new, RD.

I'm not sure how that clutch thing works, bump starts fine. Clutch out in gear, don't know must be a third parameter.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Coming up on 20 hours. Damper addition was worth it. Oem filter has no oil, changed it out to a TwinAir. Valve check again a bit tougher starting, prolly pull all the shims and get the next size down onhand.
YZ_mudrutride.jpg

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Since you were at the carwash, I have to wonder why you took a photo before, not after.

Nevertheless, the bike looks badass!
-Jared
#44b

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Well, up close and clean, several trail imperfections become visible...
In fact, seems to be a few more every wash... :lol:

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

You probably already know, but it's pretty close to Jeremy Martin's retro bike a few races back:
-Jared
#44b

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

The bike performed flawlessly at the Desert 100, only thing I changed from local was to turn the Scotts damper up a few clicks, and swap on fresh mousses and a set of AT81's, air filter and oil change.

Myself, not so much, but I did finish despite being being hit twice, hard, resulting in a high side and an endo. Lots of DNF's, about 1/3 of riders. Bar to bar, and wheel to wheel in the blinding dust for the 1st 35 miles. Sheer pandemonium. :D

Not "desert" as one would think of it, technical rocky rutty silty and tight in the washes and ravines, cliffs. Lots of odd spaced silty and rock laden whoops. No real breaks or transfer sections aside from a few 100 yards here and there that were somewhat cowtrail smooth, unrelenting. Technical riding skills paid off.
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG
Bike does NOT look this good anymore. :lol:
Melted clutch cable, broken side panel, scraped swingarm, bent busters, and a DENT IN MY AKRO :thumbsdown:

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

you're a tough son of a technically a female pooch....didn't anyone tell you that when you crash you're supposed to hug your motorcycle. bodyparts heal bikes don't. :canada:

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Went thru the bike Saturday R&Ring from the race, then got to flog it a bit at Wildrose yesterday... Never been on a true MX bike, and not a track guy, but the FX was by far the most fun I've had at the track :D SWEET JUMPS (for me at least :lol: )

Dropped the bars by removing the Scotts damper and sub in anticipation, still running on bibs, good AT81's, and trail tuned suspension, and a softer bottom map
I'm sure with more tuning one could make it a bit more "MX"ey

30.7 hours, valves still in spec, treated it to a fresh plug, old one looked good

Air filter after Washington:
D100_airfilter.jpg

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

How do you find the High up air cleaner, does it keep the filters clean much longer?

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Generally, yes, ran the OEM filter locally until 17 hrs. But that was winter riding, and the oem filter was poorly oiled so I got leery as dust started to happen.
It definitely doesn't take on as much mud/water, but if you're eating dust who knows.

The race was a blinding dust storm for 35+miles. Like only see the rear wheel in front of you dusty. You can plant flowers in it, and my buddies all looked similar. :D

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I have heard from a couple people that race was the scariest thing they've done on two wheels.

Yeah, I'm sure when its blinding dusty, it doesn't matter. You'd think the high up airbox would be good for water crossings/mud etc.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Side note on GTYR tuner and these bikes.

My buddy has a 15 YZ450F he raced in Washington with us.
Tore his arms (and @ss) off for 100 miles. :lol:

He borrowed the tuner, loaded a "smooth lo to mid" map, and its now very bush rideable, engine wise. 5 minutes work total.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

On fire:
https://youtu.be/Khu7UdM7ndQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS