WINTER IS COMING - TECH

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

WINTER IS COMING - TECH

Post by malcolmzilla »

Discuss the latest in your tips, tricks, setups.

BOOYAH! :cheers:

Who has built shoulder season tires yet?
To do - have the studs, Gripstud 1300's, thinking of popping em in a used set of Michelin XC, mostly for those snow free days where the frost stays on top or just below surface.

Winter tires?
2 sets in decent shape, IRC Volcanduros and M5B 120's, Gripstud 1800 / 1800R and 1740 - the 1800 seem to rip out a bit less, decent durability if you can chop the throttle. seat em shoulder deep.

Bib mousses for winter yeah or nay?
Ran them all summer, love not having to worry about flats, carry tools, break in sucks, heard the water in carcass freezes in winter and chews em up? Might try em on the 250, the KTM gets Tubliss/Slime.

Headlights for shorter days?
Baja D led Squadron on KTM, 65W halogen on TE250, and amber goggle lenses

Winter jetting...?
530 runs fine on year round setup, TE250 will need tuning day to day I'm sure - advice? Richer pilot, air screw and maybe needle movement?

Dedicated winter bike?
Once deep snow sets in the Christini/ 530 will be the go to, but gonna rip the light TE until then

Heated grips?
Symtec heat demons (dual element no resistor), over the bar mitts and the $6 Home Depot neoprene rubber palmed gloves keep hands dry and warm

Goretex boot liners?
Might try em, Sidi's losing sealing. Seen guys step into glad bags too LOL

Charcoal or battery boot heaters...
Been using HD charcoals taped to toes, merino socks but if the warmers get wet game over (WAA WAA WAA...)

Clothing?
Ventilation is key as Survivorman says YOU SWEAT YOU DIE and winter riding will have you sweating... Heck I'm perspiring just thinking about it :D - not a problem when moving/working but if you get stopped / stranded it can become a matter of survival. Walking out may not be an option - What if you were stuck overnight?
Synthetic underlayers, armored jacket with multiple ventilation options (LEATT) (ditch pressure suit), neck tube, I carry dry gloves, socks, an extra underlayer top and a balaclava, and basic survival shelter (tow rope is 20' of cordage), saw and fire starting kit incl butane blowtorch lighter. "poop" tickets and gas will get most things cooking. We had to change a tube at -14 last winter and if it happend again a fire will be going before we start. Ugly numbing work.
Dual lens sled/ski goggles with nose bridge, or interestingly enough the 509 battery powered goggle humidistat fan works too.
Protip arrive at trailhead in said merino socks, undies - brrr having to get to skivvies to gear up! But then again my buddies enjoy putting on the "don't look now - CAUGHT YA" game. :lol:

Hydration?
I ditch the camelback and carry bottled G2's - hose tends to freeze and jacket ventilation is better with no camelbak. You need just as much hydration in winter as summer too.

Snowpack
An early heavy snowpack will prevent ice from freezing very thick - beware at crossings. :smirk:

Conditions
Good conditions a ride can be 40 to 60+ km. Tough sluggin, under 25 km can be enough. Plan short loops and easier exits. Also things change leeward to shady sides of hills, open meadows vs heavy cover, and with elevation. You can go from flying to swearing hip deep stuck in no time.
Unless exceptionally sunny and calm, we draw the line at around -10C for riding, beyond that it's too much risk vs reward.
Make sure someone knows where you are and when you will be back. Ride with a buddy (if you can find one that will tough out winter riding :smirk: )

Technique
No useful advice to be gleaned from me LOL
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Re: WINTER IS COMING - TECH

Post by MtnBlue »

Go skiing

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Buy a Timbersled.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Same as last year - put something in front of the radiator to keep the engine warm. Tape up your foot pegs, if ice balls freeze on them it sucks for balance. Carb heater for 2 strokes. I use regular tubes in the winter because I run about 14 lbs of air, no risk of a pinch flat. I might have to check out those neoprene gloves from HD. :thumbsup: Winter riding, better than staring at your bike :thinking:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Right! I will reinstall my thermostat on the TE come consistently cool days.

Carb heater hmm. Like tape a regular grip element to it? Insulate? Always on or switched? Do tell.

Never really had problems with the pegs, just clack em every now and then... but I might try your trick!

Bolt Supply, $6. Get a few pairs, the palms leak after 4-5 rides yarding hard.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

KTM sells a carb heater kit. It's worth it to buy. :D

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Great writeup!

Remember... winter riding is clean. No bike washing. No gear washing just ride ride ride.

Everything else takes a beating. Suspension, plastics, groin, brownie points.....
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

STOKED!

No bugs, no mud (some exceptions :D ), most times have the place to yourselves (although you may run into riff raff such as above or my crew :lol:), and man when it comes together and you're railing it in fresh pow, better than sex. Oh and those pesky logs? On studs WHATEVA! Hit em any angle, go!

Carb heater tech from DB and 37:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6728

Fuel range? Can be a lot less, depending on wheelspin, we have come out on fumes in as little as 45 km.

Side note: Bar mitts made letting go less of an option, as a result involuntary commitment ensued, riding it out and sometimes success. :lol:

Also with this years deep drifted pack, and a few arduous stucks, we took to carrying a sled shovel to dig trenches thru drifts.

Hip flexors will be screaming murder. :crybaby:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I like to add KTM's nylon "sand" cover to the air filter. It seems helps to keep the filter from packing with snow/ice.

Looking out the window this morning, it sure feels like we're in for a long hard winter.
The voices are back. Awesome!

patwill
User
User

Post by patwill »

Has anyone ever tried this method for homemade studs? I thought it looked interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1Iln5CnEw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Image
Patrick
2014 KTM 200 XC-W

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Way too heavy. It will hurt your clutch more than it should. If you want to winter ride, try to get a second hand pair of Trellies. After trying a lot of other methods, screws, bolts, and cement screws. I finally bought a set of trellies and will never go back. They work the best, last the longest and are the easiest. My 2 cents.
2018 KTM 300 xc

patwill
User
User

Post by patwill »

Ah I never thought of that! Thanks.
Patrick
2014 KTM 200 XC-W

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

I may stud an old pair of riding boots this year.

I had some issues last year with my regular boots on frozen ground. :crazy:
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Footwear 3000 series. I'd be in on a group buy for my @#$! commute.
GripStud.jpg
TECH.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

I put ice screws in a set of boots last year after a slippery walk up hill last year. They work great. :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc