Fork Oil?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Fork Oil?

Post by bikingagain »

Does putting in a lighter fork oil give a more plush feeling to the shocks? Is there any draw back to doing this? Thanks
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Fork Oil?

Post by WRocks »

Logic would say you are correct, but most (if not all) modem forks call for 5W oil, so is very light already.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The damping would be lighter for ALL damping circuits. So it would lighten the compression and rebound. It might not feel as plush if it is acting like a pogo stick. :eek:

Shocks are running like 2.5wt oil in a lot of cases.

Lot's of guys used to put heavier oil in "back in the day" :D

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Turning compression damping down will soften up the feel allot. It's also free. But, the bike will feel squishy when going faster. I noticed this even at the snail's space I travel at. The rule of thumb I've read (and tried) is to turn the compression damping all the way out, then turn back in 2 clicks at a time until the fork doesn't bottom out during your ride. I liked this allot to gain confidence in slow speed, gnarly terrain. But, I defaulted to the comfort setting once I got out of first gear fairly regularly. (I'm still horribly slow, not making any claims here.) The comfort setting worked pretty well for me. I will also add that changing fluid after a year was absolutely noticeable.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

I rode a new 350 F last night and the suspension was awesome. I just took it down a road at Mclean and it absorbed the every little bump. My suspension is not too bad but now I can see there is still a lot of improvement that can be done. I also realise that I am comparing apples to oranges with a new 350 F and a 200 smoker but if I can get it dialed in a bit better I would be a happy boy. I need to do a service on my bike soon so thought a lighter oil might help. I think mine is 5wt and thought 2.5 might help. Anyway that is the back story to my question. Thanks again for the great input.

I knew I shouldn't of ridden a new bike, it will cost me :smirk:
2018 KTM 300 xc

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Bwuhahahahahah :smirk:
Bikeless....

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Just my $0.02

Like Bark said, are you using your clickers? I guess first thing is make sure the suspension is fresh. Compression clickers help with the harshness, and I would say bottoming is more spring and oil height. I personally run my bike close to full soft on the compression in the woods. Running any suspension adjustment close to the end of its range means that it could be time for a revalve, so keep that in mind. I would stay stock on oil weight, and experiment with clickers and oil height.

I think it's tough to compare 2s and 4s suspensions. the weight of the bikes themselves tend to actually help make it plusher, plus they are very, very stable. Even the best 2s stuff still has that nervous feel, and tends to dance around a bit. This has as much to do with inertia and power delivery, as suspension action.

And only use quality full syn fork oil IMO.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

IMG_0541.jpg
This is what fork oil should look like, fresh, clear, flows though the valves :)
IMG_0540.jpg
This is the oil that came out of my forks, looks like something that fell out of a troll :blush:

76 hours on the bike. Please stop fork abuse, change your fork oil. :lol:
2018 KTM 300 xc

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

that stuff looks new compared to some I have seen come out of a certain set of open chamber forks...

I change mine at 20hr is intervals. It does make a difference and the conditions we ride in and will save in the long run on bushing and seal wear. Shocks are serviced every season too. They do lose nitrogen pressure over time.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I normally don't worry about it. I have a suspension guy do my fork oil change ... up to three times this year already. :smirk: Really nice fellow, but has a bit of an ice cream addiction!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"