Tires

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Tires

Post by dirtyboy »

The mousse is magical on the front. Being able to hit anything as hard as you like with the front tire does a lot for confidence. I think it might even play into helping you increase your speed. Front bib mousse take about 30 minutes riding and it's broken in nicely. It is important to match the tire size to the mousse to ensure proper pressure on the inside of the tire. :D

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Bark wrote:
trailguy wrote:Bark, you should be using a torque wrench when tightening the rimlock, as it has a soft rubber portion that compresses when tightened. Gen 1 was 20 ft. lbs., Gen 2 is 15 ft. lbs.
I originally used a torque wrench to 20ftlb as per instructions but had high pressure bladder leakage. I contacted Tubliss on this behalf and they recommended the process I now use. For the rear, the torque works for me and both the high pressure and low pressure have no discernable leakage over, say, a month without riding (but I do check pressures every ride). For the front, the high pressure will leak 5-10psi per week. Depending on the tire, I've had the front maintain low pressure reasonably over a week but not a month. Bad fronts would leak down over night. :crazy:

While I like the Tubliss for its light feel, I've had all of my flats with it in my history of riding. It feels to me like the front tires can't handle rocks, etc. without the support of a tube. I'm a wishy, washy type and may try the Tubliss again but I think I'm going to focus on UHD tubes and mousse next season and see how it goes. For awhile, my pace was coming along and at the time I was using UHD, I think the additional stability from the extra gyro fit my style, skill level. I'll stick with Tubliss for rear tires.:cheers:
What sealant are you using in with Tubliss system in the tire? On the weekend I mounted an old hammered front tire with a beat up tire bead, it wouldn't hold air for even 1/2 hour in the garage. I dropped in 3 oz. of Stan's sealant, spun the tire for 30 seconds and it hasn't lost any air in two days.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Bibs for winter? Yeah or nay?

Heard the moisture freezes and the ice particles chew em up?

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

Naay! They are a "joy" to install and for winter riding I think it would be nice to be able to run tubes so you can adjust the tire pressure if need be. Im still searching for that magical tire pressure number for trellies!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

My buddy has the chinese tire stand with the arm, I did a couple welding mods to it, lengthened the bead breaker and a better locknut for the stop.

So youtube for a technique refresher, and a couple brews, 2 sets of hands, lots of big spoons and it's a breeze.

But yeah, thinking Tubliss again this winter, and carrying the resultant plugs and CO2.
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

trailguy wrote:What sealant are you using in with Tubliss system in the tire? On the weekend I mounted an old hammered front tire with a beat up tire bead, it wouldn't hold air for even 1/2 hour in the garage. I dropped in 3 oz. of Stan's sealant, spun the tire for 30 seconds and it hasn't lost any air in two days.
I've used Slime with some success. Success in this case means the front will drop 2-4psi per week. I did pick up some Stan's at one point but haven't tried it yet. I use only silicon spray (Krylox?) in the rear. I use silicon spray for installation when doing the fronts.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I use bibs in the winter. I don't want to freeze when I get a flat, nor do I want to carry that stuff. I've switched to air in the summer, mostly. I have had more flats on studs than regular tires. Studs just leak more air in the case of best grips and trelleborgs get flats too. Just hit a stud too hard on a rock and you have an instant leak you don't know about until it's flat.

Get some old bibs that are toast and falling apart. They are the ones you want for winter. Running them right now in my studs :thumbsup:

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

These look good the new Bridgestone battlecross.

https://transmoto.com.au/product-bridge ... oss-tyres/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Cooling fins...to funny
#Z3B