Wheel bearing question

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Wheel bearing question

Post by thirtyseven »

Beat them in with a hammer/screwdriver combo, never regrease, don't keep the bike clean, put whatever the illustrious well informed pleasant smiling parts lady tells you to.
Repeat.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

I found bearings can fail quickly and end up having to change them when you have the least time.
Based on the number of revolutions a bearing makes in a bike wheel, they should last for years, if they have grease and no dirt in them.
The reason they don't last long, is that they get dirty/rusty or lese grease. So, if the hub is full of grease, it cannot fill with water or dirt.

I have a trick I do one time and never have to grease or change bearing again...
I remove the bearings carefully, and drill and tap a hole in the hub and install a grease fitting sealed with red Loctite. You need a right angle drill to get in to do this. This is a one shot deal, so don't mess it up.
I reinstall one bearing and the spacer, then pump the hub full of grease. Once nearly full, I install the second bearing and apply a liberal amount of grease to all voids in the dust seals and spacers.
I do my best to fill all spaces with grease. This takes about an hour a wheel to do and will use a tube of grease.
I only put in a 2-3 pumps every time I change a tire or bake pads and keeps them full. The axle shafts never get rusty and does not leak out when changing tires and such, you hardly notice it in there.
The centrifugal force in the hub from the wheel spinning may help force grease past the seals into the bearings (maybe?).

I have been doing this on my bikes for 6+ years now and have never had to change bearings.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Great idea.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS