WP Rebound side leak

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Passrat

WP Rebound side leak

Post by Passrat »

I have a 2014 TE300 with a fork oil leak on the rebound side (right). I talked with a guy last weekend that said he has seen this on three separate bikes, same side low mileage. My dealer has not had any info come back yet if this is a real problem or not. I keep my bikes extremely clean and have not had a fork seal leak for about 4+ years so I really don't think its neglect. Any others out there?
Thanks.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: WP Rebound side leak

Post by Dobi »

I have a 2014 300xc and had the same problems. The red seals haven't lasted well at all and I find I had to pull them apart and clean them every second ride or they puked all the oil into my truck.

I had really good luck in with my 2011 and my 2013 with the green SKF seals and wound up putting them on 2014.

thankfully the seal replacement on the 4CS is not a big deal at all. (provided you have a fork tool and a seal driver)

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Dobi wrote:I have a 2014 300xc and had the same problems. The red seals haven't lasted well at all and I find I had to pull them apart and clean them every second ride or they puked all the oil into my truck.

X2, I've noticed the same issue. They also seem to leak more fluide than the green seals do when they got dirt in them. Even if the dealer did do something for you, he would likely have to replace them with the same KTM/Husab part and you'd just be back to the same issue.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Passrat

Post by Passrat »

Thanks, I reckon I'll be replacing them on my own. Any part numbers for the tools and the SKF seals would be greatly appreiciated.
Thanks again,

Cory

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Passrat wrote:Any part numbers for the tools and the SKF seals would be greatly appreiciated.
+1
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

Ive got the SKF green ones here for the KTM/Bergs....
PVC piping works great as seal driver as well!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Dean or Brad at Bfoot Direct, or Allison at Cycleworks, will have these PN's, and maybe even in stock, and the cap tool. I have not been in my 4CS forks yet however.

The tight guard to bumper clearance of these forks means I cannot use neoprene booties, in an attempt to keep the notoriously abrasive clay we seem to have out a bit better.

My buddy advised me to pull the scraper/dustseal off and clean it, then pack inside it with grease and then seat the scraper/dustseal . The theory being that the grease will capture the particulate that gets by the scraper/dustseal before the main oil seal. Obviously this will need attention and periodic cleaning and replacement.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

malcolmzilla wrote:Dean or Brad at Bfoot Direct, or Allison at Cycleworks, will have these PN's, and maybe even in stock, and the cap tool. I have not been in my 4CS forks yet however.

The tight guard to bumper clearance of these forks means I cannot use neoprene booties, in an attempt to keep the notoriously abrasive clay we seem to have out a bit better.

My buddy advised me to pull the scraper/dustseal off and clean it, then pack inside it with grease and then seat the scraper/dustseal . The theory being that the grease will capture the particulate that gets by the scraper/dustseal before the main oil seal. Obviously this will need attention and periodic cleaning and replacement.
You can run neo booties on those, I did it on the CC Blader forks which use all the same outer parts. You have to remove the plastic fork guard guide that is on the upper tubes - it just snaps on/off. Run a zip-ty around the top of the neo boot with the head facing forward, this fits into the "V" shape of the fork guide and acts like a guide.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Cool, I will take a closer look, thanks. I was also thinking that maybe the older, larger diameter KTM fork guards may retrofit?

2" PVC pipe can make an adequate bumper as well: this is the current setup over the neoprenes on my KTM/Christini, as it requires the fork bumpers to be removed for driveshaft clearance.

Altho messy, the grease trick seems to be working, for a low cost fix.

Passrat

Post by Passrat »

Thanks, Allison I'll be giving you a call, do you ship down to Coleman AB?

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Has anyone experienced oil coming out of speed bleeders on the left side?

Also, what weight of oil and what quantity do these take? I've got a leaking right fork after about 30 hrs from new (disappointing) and need to pick up some oil. Plan on swapping with the green SKF seals.