Chain saw tech

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Chain saw tech

Post by malcolmzilla »

Happened into a new Stihl 170 and one of WRocks mounts.
Got a wild hair up my bum yesterday and fit it to the TE: sure beats the 70's pot metal Homelite in the Dakine builders bag. :lol:
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Alley test ride, the TE still feels lighter with the saw up front than the Christini. :blush:
Couple quick mods to the mount to get fitment, add a tie down - likely fit a scabbard to the bar yet.

Anyhow, looking for any saw tech and operation tips, aside from "don't stay out past dark now", and keep the moving end well away from limbs...
And it came with enough Stihl mix oil to run the TE for a few weekends. :D

TIA

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Chain saw tech

Post by Dobi »

ride it through the forest while planning a new 20km loop through virgin territory. You will appreciate the builders pack

keep the chain sharp and pack a new one with you. give it a quick touch up with the file at every tank of fuel. the time saved once its cutting is worth it. don't bother with the muffler mod unless you plan on upping the carb size.

operationally. get earplugs and safety glasses. Use the bar brake constantly.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Get a scarbard on the blade not for safety, but to keep the mud and grit off the chain. Watch out the front brake line doesn't catch over the saw handle when forks compress. Couple of well placed zip ties help solve this. Don't cut rocks

This is simply the best saw sharpener I have used(truthfully the only one I have ever used). Like dobi mentioned a quick tune up with a round file between tanks and at the end of the day this sharpener gets your chain back to new chain sharp in the time it takes 37 for finish a smoke.

http://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

Also get a rake gauage, you will need to file the rakes as the cutters wear. If you dont the chain can be shrap and not bite, if you file rakes to much, it with bite too much and increase the kickback risk and over work the engine. I only check the rakes after 10 good sharpenings.
#Z3B

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

Don't constantly rev and release the gas while cutting branches or alders. It makes it easier to throw the chain. Rev it up, make your cut, release
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Good tech and tips guys, stuff i wouldn't have anticipated, thanks, keep em coming.