Setting up the new 2014 300XCW

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Giles
Writer
Writer

Setting up the new 2014 300XCW

Post by Giles »

Hi all, I have a pretty good idea what I want to put on my new bike but always like to get feedback from those in "the know".

what do y'all think is the best for :

- Skid plate
- Rad Guards
- Bark busters
- pipe guard
- did I miss anything?

I'm thinking Emperor (old Scorpion) for skid plate, rad guard, barkies (or Pro bend?) and E-line for pipe guard...........any opinions and add ons are appreciated.

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Setting up the new 2014 300XCW

Post by Ynot303 »

I really liked the HYDE skidplate/pipegaurd combo. As with many products, some love it, some hate it... I loved the way it protected the pipe and I love the glide-ability of the plastic.

Also from the mixed feelings department, I like full length fork boots. Never had a fork seal go with these on (even before SKF seals)

:cheers:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

I would add HD tubes in your tires. Also I've found rad guards that offer protection from side impact when your bike lays over on it's side are more important than the ones designed to keep out rocks and sticks . My experience with the fork socks (long or short) was that they held water that got into my forks and diluted the oil decreasing its effectiveness and increasing my service frequency for my fork oil.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

E-line carbon has fiberglass fill made in asia. The best carbon out there is P3, so i would go with them for skidplate & pipe guard. Nice we finally have a P3 dealer in Calgary.

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Thanks gents!
Who sells P3 in Calgary?

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Go see Dean @ Blackfoot Direct. You can also get their carbon in the new bi-color black/orange weave.

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Yup, look like pretty nice products, Are there a number of people using the skid plates? They're holding up well?

What is everyone's preference for bark busters? I've used Acerbis for years but really like the look of probend ones......Emperor looks like they make nice products too and they are Canadian......

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I hit a lot of trees, I mean A LOT! I have a set of the ktm full wrap plastic guards and I like them. They deflect/bend a bit when I hit stuff and don't seem to instantly send me off the trail. I also added a steering stabilizer for the same reason. I have also noticed I bend less bars with them.

But I should mention, I'm not that fast so my impacts don't stress them too badly. Not sure how they would hold up for the really fast guys slamming into solid stuff. :confused:
The voices are back. Awesome!

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I'm not sold on my Emporer rad guards, mine seem awfully bendy. The Enduro Eng ones I had on my last bike seemed to hold up better......or maybe I have just taken some bizarre radiator hits.

Make sure you take the time to spring your bike suspension and set sag etc.

Sweet bike!
Bikeless....

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Thanks all,

Brian, do you have the full rad cage or just the guard? cage seems pretty darn beefy....at any rate, thanks for all the tips. Gonna ride the bike a few times for break in then do the suspension and sag.

Very curious on these carbon fibre skid plates though......anyone using them?

Ahamay
User
User

Post by Ahamay »

Scorpion bark busters are imported from china.
Rad guards could be made of Swiss cheese.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

My buddy has a P3 SP on his XC-W 450, he's a big dude and rides alot of gnarly rock/big logs out in BC. Its held up great over the last 3 years. My son and I have run their Pipe guards for years and they are excellent. I have a skid plate on the way for my son's bike.
I'm not a fan of Aluminum skid plates, they are heavy, deform from impacts, noisy and there are claims they make the chassis more rigid.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I have full cage with grills, they seem to bend easy but maybe bending is better than breaking! I dont want to talk you out of them, I had a few rides last year that definitelty pushed me past the boundaries of my limited skills and I downed my bike in some pretty good rock gardens.

It was probably not a fair assement negatively comparing them to the Enduro Engineering guards as I was even more of a noob riding mellow terrain (and crashing less) when I had the EE rad guards.
Bikeless....

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Thank for the replies all.

Trailguy, roughly what kind of price is the skid plate?

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Giles wrote:Thank for the replies all.

Trailguy, roughly what kind of price is the skid plate?
Check with Dean. Not 100% sure on this, but I think RMDRA members get a discount at BFD.