Smart Carb

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Smart Carb

Post by erniebearskin »

If you have the $ to spend, you wont regret getting one, only down side for me was the modding of the airboot that I didnt have the balls to cut up myself.

It way out performs stock carb in power, overrev, fuel consumption, no vents to freeze winter riding, plus no jetting ever again.

And I dont mean no jetting like Erniebearskin two years ago where I would have a slobering smoky mess in the summer and a pinger in the winter, its perfectly jetted all the time (at least better than any jetting I have ever thrown a leg over).

Like a said, IMHO way worsethings you could drop $500 bucks on......
Bikeless....

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

So.... it's been a long time and I realize I forgot to thank everyone. So thank you everyone who chimed in on this thread for me.

Due to all of your excellent suggestions and advice I ended up purchasing a smart carb. During this time I moved down to Butte MT (6600ft) to finish up some school. The bummer here is I ordered the cast version and due to supplier issues making the carbs to spec, it took APT something like 8 months to get the carb to me.

It was installed last fall in enough time to get it tested and started on the dial in process before winter hit. This last winter the katoom got a fresh top end (100+ hrs) and I was able to double check and tighten up my install of the smart carb.

I got a lot of riding done this spring in Montana at elevations from 6000ft through to about 8500ft in temperatures from -5C to 15C. I am extremely impressed. It worked flawlessly all day everyday and there is a very noticeable increase in power right off the bottom. It hits much harder right off idle though I feel I lost a little bit in the top end. I have the red spring installed, I like the bike to light up early.

This summer I took an internship down in Houston TX, I brought the bike down with the intention to get a lot of riding in hot humid weather and really get an idea if this carb does everything it is supposed to. Unfortunately is is very difficult to find quality riding areas in TX as the land is almost 100% privately owned and land owners are so worried about being sued they strongly resist allowing anyone to ride something dangerous like a dirtbike on their land. You can of course drive a side by side drunk as you like with loaded weapons at any time of the day or night no problems. Ah Texas.

Tomorrow I plan to fire the bike up in the parking lot and have a go down here in Houston. I'll get you guys some pictures and hopefully some short video as well. The carb was set up and running great at 6000ft and 0deg. Lets see how it handles 38deg and 40% humidity tomorrow.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

I just moved to Houston as well. If you'd like to ride sometime, fire me a PM.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

Well fired the bike up in the parking lot today. Fired in two kicks, just like normal. Smoked a little on warm up. Ran excellent, hard to tell with 20min of playing in the parking lot but felt like it hit a bit harder all through all throttle positions probably because it's pretty much sea level here. Not really any chance to go really WOT, actually down right scary on hot ashphalt.

Some pictures of the install:
IMAG0074.jpg
IMAG0076.jpg
IMAG0078.jpg
IMAG0079.jpg
And a couple of videos of the start and warm up.
https://youtu.be/ynGmGuoFYxA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://youtu.be/romjSOw7gBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully these all work.

So there you have it really. SmartCarb does everything it says it will do. Install the bugger, run it in, set it up. Then never ever again have to deal with jets and needles and everything else while you are travelling and riding.

I'm very pleased with it.

Cheers,

Elwyn

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

I was on the SmartCarb bandwagon for near two years. I was tired of their potential release dates and delays and went to a Lectron instead. Although the carbs work on very similar principles Lectron has been around for a long time and is cheaper. With the dollar sucking right now both are pricey but if you change terrain and elevations a lot and like better fuel range then both are great.

If anyone ever wants to check out a Lectron on a 200 let me know. We can even swap them over on a ride for you to try.

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

I still use my smartcarb on my KTM 150 XC, trust me I have no issues hanging with the big bikes at all.....They just rock.

Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Post by Fenel854 »

Has anyone ever bought a smart carb from Technology Elevated https://technologyelevatedco.com/ or heard of them? I am looking around on the APT website and it's in rough shape with dead links etc. Cannot even find a spot to purchase the smart carb anymore, it just takes me to a knock off atv/scooter sales page with more dead links.

http://www.powerapt.com/index.php
http://www.motovox.com/

Likely going to put a Timbersled kit on my 2t 300 and don't want to play with the jets in the winter at elevation.
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

I'm not sure what happened exactly, but ATP split off their smart carb manufacturing into a new company called Technology Elevated.

So that's the company selling them now. Looks like they only have a billet version, they were having too many issues with QC on the cast ones i think.

So same carb, different company name.

I'd say go for it. I love mine.

Cheers,
Elwyn E
#221 30b
'18 350 XC

Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Patrick »

It does work but many people including myself with CR500's have turned in their Billet Smart Carbs for Ron McCord's Pulse Injection System.
Pulse Injection has been giving more torque for turning a track.
Pulse Injection catches the reversion pressure wave from the piston & intake port and directs the pressure wave (already charged with mixed fuel) into the injector body/tube. The tube comes sized for the engine design.
Better starting when cold and better idling too than SC's.
Keep the existing PWK carburator and this Pulse Injector goes between the Carb body and replaces
Jetting is much easier in the mountains than stock PWK. When set-up very close (Ron helps) its just a Air Screw adjustment from 1500 ft to 8000 ft.
Here's 2 very good links. Adam Millar from Millar Engines has tested both Smart Carbs and Pulse Injection system and is hands down better and $hundreds cheaper.
I would pick Pulse Injection over SC anyday, easier to trouble shoot a PWK than a SmartCarb.
Although I see no ktm 300 information google/youtube etc it might be worth giving Ron a call for an alternate opinion over the smartcarb.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=BD4AA2685 ... 685D9BF2E9
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371871
McCord's Power Flow
854 Ginger Ave.
Billings, MT 59105 Phone: 406-248-5595

bigsky300
User
User

Post by bigsky300 »

SmartCarb is real and can be purchased from Technology Elevated. It is totally different than a Keihin and based on a different principle.

They have had issues with their cast carbs but their billet carbs are readily available. The billet version is very nice.

Tell them you are running a snow bike and they will provide the correct unit.

Talk to Corey there if you get a chance.