Smart Carb

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Smart Carb

Post by Bushwagon »

I was watching some 300 timbersled videos on youtube and noticed that a few bike are running a "smart carb". Quick internet search turns this up:

http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone run this carb or know anything about it? Would be so, so awesome to never touch jets again and not worry about re-jetting for trips to MOAB and CO.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Smart Carb

Post by Braap791 »

They seem to be all the rage on the gasser forums . I have not heard anything about how they perform on a KTM/Berg/Husky. Im sure someone will pick one up and do a review on it sooner rather than later!

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I bought one, installed couple weeks ago, fired first kick no choke in -10. Few clicks on the dial and it sounds nice and crisp, very little smoke, did some back ally laps and it feels like I picked up another 500 rpm on top, its quit amazing. Im waiting for this darn weather to warm up so I can run it thought its paces, I think 15th 16th looks decent.

I needed to modify the airboot to accomadate the longer length, I ended up bringing to Carlos at BFD and he did an awesome job as always.

I too hate messing around with jetting so Im hoping this thing works as claimed, if the boost in HP & fuel economy are true then thats a bonus! :thumbsup:
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

If there's a device that negates jetting changes and makes the bike more powerful... why did bike manufacturers switch to fuel-injection??

In theory, this seems better since it would save a significant amount of weight. I'm curious to hear how well it works. Report back with your experience Bryan!
-Jared
#44b

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

This is just for 2 strokes. I believe GASGAS is going to come with Smartcarbs next year
Bikeless....

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

Dirtrider Magazine actually has a cool youtube video.

http://youtu.be/XbBkt2_pZNM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sold. Ordered mind today I'll keep ya all in the loop when I receive it.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

There are worse things you could spend 500 bucks on! :applause:
Bikeless....

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

There is lots of info on this on SnowWest under Snowbikes. Lots of guys running them and loving em. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

There is lots of info on various forums for these carbs. I had pre-ordered one early last year but through the legthy delays in availability I stayed with my regular carb.

Its basically a version of a metering rod carb. Not new technology, but underused. Widely used in muscle cars. All the claims are very true. APT worked with GasGas for quite sometime to make it the carb of choice for their race bikes.

The price appears to have jumped up quite abit. I am not sure if they ever figured out their casting issues either with all the carb sizes as I wanted a 36mm and could never get one.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

They basically copied Lectron who have been around for quite a while. One has to factor in the real issues with this carb considering the year long delays with delivering to there customers, there has been multiple complaints in the fitment department (boot rubbing on shock/throttle cable too short) and the HP claims are just not there. Although there has been some success stories primarily with case reed motors they have been an utter failure with cylinder reed motors like yz and rm 2-strokes. I guess it's goes without saying that there is never a "one size fits all" wonder product out there. I am all for products that offer an easy way to run a machine but I'll take a well jetted stock carb any day over a smart carb.
CR250R

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

primerib72 wrote:They basically copied Lectron who have been around for quite a while. One has to factor in the real issues with this carb considering the year long delays with delivering to there customers, there has been multiple complaints in the fitment department (boot rubbing on shock/throttle cable too short) and the HP claims are just not there. Although there has been some success stories primarily with case reed motors they have been an utter failure with cylinder reed motors like yz and rm 2-strokes. I guess it's goes without saying that there is never a "one size fits all" wonder product out there. I am all for products that offer an easy way to run a machine but I'll take a well jetted stock carb any day over a smart carb.
I agree, jet to manufactures specs and set your floats, try going up or down one setting from the specs and spend $30 on some new brass the remaining $450 you save on gas, insurace,registration and a new jersey for the 2014 season. :D
#Z3B

Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Patrick »

I'm a believer. I have one coming for the CR500, should be shipped April 4. 38mm Cast Unit. I just hope it fits as the 500cc is crammed into a CR125 aluminum frame. Its still a new build and I definitely had jetting issues along with a bad CDI unit last summer so it will be a fresh start.
In fact summitboy whom is/was a member on here has the billet unit on his CR500 snow/dune bike. Likes it for elevation change.
http://youtu.be/-rMQZTSFnwM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Patrick »

Patrick wrote:I'm a believer. I have one coming for the CR500, should be shipped April 4. 38mm Cast Unit. I just hope it fits as the 500cc is crammed into a CR125 aluminum frame. Its still a new build and I definitely had jetting issues along with a bad CDI unit last summer so it will be a fresh start.
In fact summitboy whom is/was a member on here has the billet unit on his CR500 snow/dune bike. Likes it for elevation change.
http://youtu.be/-rMQZTSFnwM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll also post on summitboy's behalf as well. Here's what he says about the billet smartcarb on his CR500 snowbike. "I like the Smarty. In the cold it doesnt like to initially start but after its usually a kick. I have a cast coming for my 300. See how that works. I ran the stock 80 needle at 62 clicks. Adam was richer on the 76 at 76 clicks. I run a little race fuel though."

Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Patrick »

Here's 3 different bikes all running the 38mm cast unit.
94 cr500, 2011 gas gas 300, 2013 ktm 250xcw, all with 38mm cast smart carbs.
http://youtu.be/82uk54Jeiwo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Patrick »

Even better, a 1983 CR480 in a hare scramble with a 36mm smartcarb. Seems to be passing the new 4stroke hehe.
http://youtu.be/F8iYLkvv4H0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;