School me on knee braces

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
rockymtn
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: School me on knee braces

Post by rockymtn »

All plans are different, but mine paid 100% for custom fit CTi's. Call your provider and ask what is covered and what's is required.... All I needed was a recommendation for knee braces (to support and stabilize my knees )from my family doctor.

I even wear mine on my dual sport as I stand most of the time.... No aches or pain at the end of a long day with the braces...

When it was time to get Leatt neck braces, I inquired with my provider, and although they would not cover the Leatt, my health care spending account would with a recommendation from my doctor...
Last edited by rockymtn on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Mine did 100% as well. A chiro recommendation was good for them, so I went to Tom Kelly, a longtime RMDRA supporter. :thumbsup:

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

Thanks guys. Did you just straight up ask to be recommended by your Doc?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I too was able to get mine covered by my provider at the time (great West). When I took mine in to get them refurbished my insurance (sunlife now) would not pay for the work, but did state that they will pay for a replacement with a doctors recomendation. My doctor knows my history and my activity list and supported new ones easily.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I just asked my GP for the recommendation'.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Yep, what they said.

The standard go to is the cti brace but Ossur who make the cti also make a brace for saddle sports called the extreme. This one is similar to the leatt knee brace but custom fitted and a good option if you don't like anything pushing your knees out away from the bike. Shawn at Action Sports can show you the different options available to you.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... NFawMA8Hkw
The voices are back. Awesome!

Runger
User
User

Post by Runger »

Hi Dave
Mine were covered by a combination of Alberta works( I believe that's what it's called ) and my health coverage at work. I think they were close to $3400. My doctor gave me prescription so Alberta Works picks up $1200 on the first brace and the entire price on the second. I'm getting them next week. Good luck.

Russ

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Post by aebbern »

Both of mine (CTi) were covered through my benefit plan, but they were considered a requirement (per Dr prescription) for post-ACL tear instability issues. I have since had the ACLs replaced and now wear the braces every time for protection on the bike & skiing.

Beta 300RR