School me on knee braces

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

School me on knee braces

Post by cedric »

So I'm recovering after dislocating my knee and stretching/tearing a bunch of ligaments last spring. The doc has given me a Rx for a knee brace now. I go meet the brace guy at the Dr.'s clinic and he offers me a choice of Ossur CTi2, DonJoy Defiance III or a Greg something or other. We both decide that the Greg is out, as it's not a tight fit and not well suited to rigorous activities like dirt biking. I know lots of you busted knee folks like the CTi2 braces. I'll need this brace for riding but also for snowboarding, some downhill biking, and whatever else comes along, but shouldn't need to wear it for day to day stuff, regular cycling, running and other activities that don't involve regular bails.

I guess I'm wanting to make a bit of an informed decision before I just blindly go with the CTi2 because it's the one I've heard of before. Any tips on what to get and why? And where I should go to get it? I assume the pricing and service is pretty standard, but maybe I'm wrong. Their price is $1680 for one of either brand. Please tell me what you know...

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Re: School me on knee braces

Post by W.F.O »

I highly recommend Doc Rennick @ Action Sports Clinic. He did my custom CTi2's and they are sweet. He's also a mx\offroad\ski\cycling\outdoors enthusiast so he has a good understanding of what we need. Not to mention he usually plays dirtbike vids in the shop while he works on you, he's also a rmdra member! If you're looking for a bad-*** physio, sports med and chiro he's top notch. I've gone to see him many times feeling like a clapped out '77 honda 125 and he has me dialed like a factory 450 again right away.

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

ALRIGHT!

After my first knee surgery I bought a pair of the CTI2. Personally, I love them. Custom fit rules my world, even thought mine look completely destroyed cosmetically, they are a life saver. Or ahh.. knee saver.

I have come back from rides with no knee pain, but huge bruises on my legs on the top and bottoms from where they took the force of the impact. I am confident these have prevented any other major surgeries (I did have a patella scope so thats not knee brace protected)

When I first had my surgery (ACL rebuild, MCL trimming and meniscus clean up/removal, my post-surgery report is like 4 pages long..) I did wear it for snowboarding and such. Over the years I have really ramped up my training, and am able to run, swim, yoga, mtn bike, road bike ect and now my leg is strong enough that I only ever wear it dirtbiking. And I wont ride without them.

Also, I did buy a strap rebuild kit for $100, to help clean them up. Havent even bothered putting them on, and that was two years ago, they work fine with 3 straps for me and a little duct tape!! :smirk:

I orginally bought mine from Hi Tech Bracing in Lethbridge, but if I was to upgrade I would definitly go to Shawn Rennick at http://actionsportsclinic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . He is Calgary local, and a super fast Moto, woods and sledder! He understands the sport.

Good luck in your decision! But I am absolutely pro CTi's, at the time i bought them They where like.. 3300$ for a set and well worth it!!
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Definitely ask about the upgrade coming for the patella cup for the CTi 2 braces. If they have a weakness it would be their impact protection. I don't think it's available yet but should be out soon.

I second (or third) everything here too. I feel strongly that without mine I would have had at least one bad wreck for the knee. My braces look hammered (even a metal hinge is bent :crazy: ) but perform flawlessly. I can't ride without them.

Oh, and check to see if you're covered through your benefit plan, lots of the time you will be with a prescription

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have had my CTI's for 5 years and they are desperately in need of a freshening up. I would highly recommend them

One suggestion is to get each Knee in a different color. Makes it simpler when getting dressed... :blush:

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

I have the CTI's as well. I got them through Action Sports, Shawn and his team are top notch. :thumbsup:

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Well thanks for the input, seems like CTI is the way to go. Just a point of clarity, I didn't have surgery and the doctor feels that it wouldn't really help me at this time, so it's not just a matter of training harder (although that will certainly help), I'm going to need this brace for the long haul. Just really looking forward to getting out riding again this season and I'll wear whatever the heck I have to in order to to do so.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Most of the guys that come see me for an evaluation/exam of their knees are recommended to get CTI2 braces. They are the same braces i have worn for years and i also wear them skiing, so i am sure snowboarding will be great too.
However, making sure that your knee is biomechanically sound and no underlying problems, is far more important than bracing.
Cheers.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Appreciate the concern SpinalGuy. I'm under the care of a well respected orthopedic surgeon, so I'm comfortable with the treatment and outlook that I've been given.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

cedric wrote:Appreciate the concern SpinalGuy. I'm under the care of a well respected orthopedic surgeon, so I'm comfortable with the treatment and outlook that I've been given.
:thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

PM me if you have any specific questions regarding your doctor's recommendation for a custom brace.

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

AJRJ wrote:Definitely ask about the upgrade coming for the patella cup for the CTi 2 braces. If they have a weakness it would be their impact protection. I don't think it's available yet but should be out soon.

I second (or third) everything here too. I feel strongly that without mine I would have had at least one bad wreck for the knee. My braces look hammered (even a metal hinge is bent :crazy: ) but perform flawlessly. I can't ride without them.

Oh, and check to see if you're covered through your benefit plan, lots of the time you will be with a prescription
Ossur has finally released the new patella cup for MX riders like us. My order is on route, apparently.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

actionsports wrote:Ossur has finally released the new patella cup for MX riders like us. My order is on route, apparently.
That's excellent! Just call in to arrange for a set? My braces are wide and the patella cups are disconnected at the knee hinge after every ride. Doesn't affect the function at all, but is slightly annoying to have to fix before putting them on every time.

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

You bet, I have been PATIENTLY waiting for this product upgrade. Give us a call at 403-263-2225, or email me at actionsportsclinic@shaw.ca. The knee cups are not in my hands yet, but I will post on the forum when they arrive.

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

Bumping a really old thread, but has anyone paid for Knee Brace/Guard through Benefits?

I always hear about guys getting them covered through benefits, but dont actually know anyone who has.

My knees are as bad/good as the next guy who loves dirt bikes, so I am interested in them for protection, but would love to not have to pay for them and use up some benefits coverage I wouldnt normally take advantage of.

Dave