2023 KTM 250XC TBI / 2014 350XCF build / 2020 250XCTPI Grip Heaters

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

2023 KTM 250XC TBI / 2014 350XCF build / 2020 250XCTPI Grip Heaters

Post by dirtyboy »

So it's been a while since I've ridden a motorcycle and longer since riding a KTM. I just got a part today from the postal service so I'm thinking I better get started on the bike. What did I get? Here is the box:
2014-01-07 20.45.04.jpg
I have a 2014 350XCF that hasn't been ridden. I really liked my last 350 so I've got the setup figured out pretty well but I've decided to try some new stuff and there are some changes to the bike. So far I've been able to take off the plastic, install my airbox with numbers and do the air filter.

That stock filter oil is tough to clean out. I never know what to clean it with since it is biodegradable so used my No Toil stuff. Nope that was a fail! :banghead: So I ended up cleaning it with solvent but that never works well after it's wet..... Anyway I got it setup with No Toil green stuff. :)

So I have a few things to do to the bike. Obviously the fan will go on but then since this is Alberta I'll have to do lights also. I have a bullet proof way to hook up electrical to this bike using a relay. The bike has no wiring for lights like most KTMs so I'll be using my relay trick and I'll share that with everyone.

And then there are those new 4CS forks that I don't what to do with.......

I'll have to look in the new bike setup thread above for some tips also. Do you have any ideas for me? I like to have the bike setup the best I can before I ride it.

:attention:

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2014 350XCF build

Post by Wangchung »

Congrats on the new ride.
I have a 2011 350 XCF, best bike I have ever owned.
-Rekluse
-Trail Tech stator
-HID X2 head light (super bright)
-LHRB (Installed it last spring, dislocated shoulder and didn't ride this year, can not give a ride report on it)
-Stabilizer
-Tall KTM seat
-Rad braces
-Quick release skid plate
-Linkage guard
-Pro bend hand guards
-Map switch (waste of money, because i use the stock setting)
-Light weight battery
-Proper springs (didn't feel that the forks needed to re-valved)
-PMB bolt on spark arrestor

I'm very interested in your Relay switch configuration. I have a 2014 KTM 450 SX-F on the way and want to add a relay, rather then hook directly to the battery.

Let us know what you think of the fan after you get it installed.
2018 Husqvarna TX300
2014 KTM 450 SXF FE
2014 KX500 (KTM 350 frame)
2011 KTM 350 XCF (for sale)
2005 KTM 525 MXC
2002 CR500 (CRF450 frame)
1981 YZ465

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I used the stock fan last year and was happy with it but didn't like cutting the rad hose for the thermostat. This one has the thermostat bolting to the water pump bolt. Thermometer actually.

I'll show the relay set up. I used a 40A relay from Canadian tire that cost 4.99.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Curious why the XCF and not the XCW again? :thumbsup:

I am looking to get into a 350 as well soon.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

malcolmzilla wrote:Curious why the XCF and not the XCW again? :thumbsup:

I am looking to get into a 350 as well soon.
If this question is directed at me, I had a 350XCF last year and loved it. They are very similar bikes. I didn't like the 350XCW as much when I tried it because of the gearing, the power delivery and the soft forks. The XCF has a way different motor and tune than the XCW and in 2013 the motor received and additional 5hp so it rips. Additionally I thought the linkage on the rear was very planted feeling. I do admit that the forks were harsh at times on very rocky or rooty slow terrain, however once I increased my speed it always smoothed right out. Now I just hope the 4CS forks will work similar to that for me this year. :)

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I'm interested in your relay setup too. When required, I usually just duct tape an LED bicycle taillight to my 350 XCF's rear fender and a flashlight to the front. This year I'm thinking of upgrading to this headlight: http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/P ... _p_14.html

What do you use for a taillight?
-Jared
#44b

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

DB,

For bike setup I recommend that you get every blingy part you can afford and every guard that's made, the heavier the better. In fact I will donate a cast iron fry pan you can use as a skid plate.

Hopefully all the added weight will slow you down so that the rest of us can keep up with you. :nworthy:
The voices are back. Awesome!

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Brass wrote:DB,

For bike setup I recommend that you get every blingy part you can afford and every guard that's made, the heavier the better. In fact I will donate a cast iron fry pan you can use as a skid plate.

Hopefully all the added weight will slow you down so that the rest of us can keep up with you. :nworthy:
But make sure its all orange ano.....you dont want to look like a squid out there!
Bikeless....

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for all the kind words. I haven't been out to the shop yet but when I do I'll be sure to show the relay setup.

Cast iron frying pan? Might just keep the frame rails from denting..... :D

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

dirtyboy wrote:If this question is directed at me, I had a 350XCF last year and loved it.
Ok thanks, I thought you had an XCW last year. Too bad then don't put the hotter engine in the EXC/XCW models. You ever want that 6th gear?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

malcomzilla, the XCF has 6 gears, however I rarely use it. The XCF has a favorite gear and it's 3rd. If I can get it into 3rd it's a sweet ride. On single track I find I'm basically working the throttle from idle (it's a high idle at about 2200) to just above that. :D

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

Have you considered putting the Cylinder Works "365 Big Bore" kit on there? A friend of mine did it last year and absolutely loved it. I believe he said that it's a better power improvement than a pipe and silencer combo and slightly cheaper :thumbsup:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Ynot303 wrote:Have you considered putting the Cylinder Works "365 Big Bore" kit on there? A friend of mine did it last year and absolutely loved it. I believe he said that it's a better power improvement than a pipe and silencer combo and slightly cheaper :thumbsup:
That surprises me considering how 15cc seems so little. They must have a good product. :thinking:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I tried to use the existing relay but putting additional load (fan) on it made it malfunction (wouldn't turn off). So I bought a 40A relay from Canadian Tire for $4.99 and some spade connectors and used some wire that I had kicking around.

As you can see they put an electrical diagram on the side of the relay. I thought that was nice of them.
Pin #85 and #86 are the input. When 12v is applied to 85 and 86 the relay or switch engages.
Pin #87 goes to the battery (white wire)
Pin #30 goes the load (red wire) (your fan, light, grip heaters, etc) The "other" wire should be routed to ground. There can be other switches or thermostat between #30 and the load but no switches between the load and ground. For ground I like to run the wire to the coil on the frame where it get bolted to the frame, just like the OEM wiring.

The pins are labeled on the bottom of the relay but hard to see in the picture:

I removed the battery box so it would provide better visibility. You can see the stock relay on the right side of the batter box. I tried a number of wires to get 12v to turn on the relay when the bike was running and turn off when the engine was off but the best I could find was on the relay.

The relay is attached with a rubber holder. Gently pull the rubber part down off the mount.

Once it's disconnected, gently lift the black plastic tab in the middle (on both sides) to release the white connector.

White connector removed from relay:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I don't like to mess the original wiring at all. So the next thing you have to do is remove the purple cover from the white connector. Again gently move the middle purple tab. I find it easiest to start with the side shown in the above picture. Both sides are different and have multiple catches so be patient and go slow.

Once the first side is up quite a way, start on the other side. There are also catches on the other sides but they don't need anything besides wiggling. :)

Purple cover off. The 2 wires that you see here (white with red and white with black) are the two wires for the input to the relay Pins #85 and #86.

I like to just connect to what is there so the next step is to remove the required connector one at a time. To do this I use a small jewelery screwdriver to get into the plastic connector and lift up the release for the brass connector. Lift the release and pull on the wire to pull it out. Don't force it. Push the wire in to start with and try to release then pull. Be patient. When you do it right it just slides out. :) The pictures are from the bottom connector but start on the top connector because you can see through the plastic which helps and then the second one is easier.

See below I'm removing the bottom connector (top connector done):

Out it comes :)

Now thread the wire though the correct hole in the purple cover and wrap the wire around the metal connector like this: