GPS? Recommendations?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
RoachToast
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

GPS? Recommendations?

Post by RoachToast »

I am looking for a GPS unit to buy to use mainly while dirtbiking. I have never owned a GPS unit of any kind so your input will really be appreciated.
My main requirements are: 1) Good screen size 2) Good mounting hardware options 3) Ease of use while riding.
What are your recommendations?

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: GPS? Recommendations?

Post by malcolmzilla »

Garmin of your choice, prefer the 60/62's, but some run the Montana/Colorados and like them (touchscreen).
Mount with RAM products. I find the 60 backlight and buttons preferable to the Montana I borrowed. Try em in the store (GPSCity).

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Wangchung »

I have a touch screen (Colorado I think), it's hard to see when its bright out, and I need to remove my gloves to move the screen around.
I would have rather bought a 60 series or now a 62 series.
2018 Husqvarna TX300
2014 KTM 450 SXF FE
2014 KX500 (KTM 350 frame)
2011 KTM 350 XCF (for sale)
2005 KTM 525 MXC
2002 CR500 (CRF450 frame)
1981 YZ465

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Costco.ca has Garmin 62 CS on sale for $249

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

GPS Central has the 62st for 269.99 and the 62s for $199.99 till the 4th.

The Costco price is GOOD!
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Post by anotheroldtrailrider »

I'm pretty happy with my Garmin Oregon 450 - big enough screen to be usable, easy to mount - it's taken a couple hits and seems pretty durable, too. About my only complaint is the tendency to drop a pin when using the touch screen - I just ignore 'em and delete them when I get home.

Art

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

x2 for the Garmin 62 series.

A few years ago I had an Magellan and it was a great GPS but I found that the Garmin line is more popular. This makes sharing tracks easier when you're sharing the same file type. You can covert files from one brand to another but it adds an extra level. Just something to consider if you're looking at other brands.

:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I use a Garmin Etrex 30 with lanyard and a handlebar mount. See sites here:
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrex30.html
http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/hbar-colorado.html
http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/lanyard.htm

I use this unit because it is:
- durable (as I am hard on it)
- cheap (if I destroy it I cry less)
- strongest reception of all the ones I tried at the store
- no touch screen (simpler means more reliable and durable, and I always have gloves, mud, etc. in play)
- uses 2x AA batteries (so I can carry a couple spares and change out - lasts 25 hours per set - only a problem if you leave it turned on overnight ;-)

This unit is compact and the handlebar mount is very low profile and held on with strap ties. I use the lanyard as a "backup" attachement so that if I hit it in a crash the strap ties break but the unit is still hanging by the lanyard. Then I pull a couple tie straps out of my tool pack and we are back in business - have field tested several times already! This works WAY better than the RAM mounts and higher profile solutions that stick up in the air more.

The eTrex 10 and 20 have the same size, just less features. I think the 20 could work pretty well (only missing the compass and barometric altimiter), but the 10 has WAY lower memory and ability to hold track points, etc.

I did manage to crack the screen when I dropped it on rocks from height while hiking, but because the unit is not a touch screen I was able to continue to use it for several weeks while I researched repair. Basically, any damage has to be sent to Quebec for repair, costs ~$100. Instead, I bought an unbreakable replacement screen from this site:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOCK-PROOF-GLA ... 3a8000d6b9

This is a pretty simple solution - the only simpler I have seen is a guy in 40B who uses the Garmin wearable GPS strapped to his handlebar:
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmi ... ex301.html

Hope that helps!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

60/62's for the backlight and buttons!!! :nworthy:

You need the GPS where you can easily view it, IMO.

I have had mixed success with the "bicycle mounts" right on the bars: while a lower profile, they also don't survive big hits as well.
The Ram mounts may get hung up more often, but the ball mounts deflect/swivel and have always kept the GPS on the bars.

3M/Invisishield the display.

And yeah, x2 on the lanyard backup tether.

I power mine off the bike as well, backlight 100% :D), but I have a 60csx with the old 4 pin, not USB (some concern as to how weather proof).

Using GPSBabel, I can upload and convert google earth, gpx, tracks, points, etc in one swoop.
But I still have to load the maps via Garmin #@%&! software. :thumbsdown:
I put Canada topo on one SD card, west USA on another, and Baja on a 3rd, just swap SD cards for maps.

RoachToast
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RoachToast »

Thank you very much for all the informative responses. Really appreciate it. Helps a lot.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

If you go with a Garmin 62 series. Do a search on the site for "penny tech". I built a simple bracket that works with a ram mout that tucks the gps tight up against the bars fairly well protected.
#Z3B