GOGGLES - best??

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

GOGGLES - best??

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Looking for some new goggles. I'm not real good, not in good shape, and all the pushing and lifting makes me SWEAT alot!!!

FOGGING is my greatest concern. Which googles have the BEST AIRFLOW, and greatest resistance to fogging??

I see Smith has just started making a model which has a little built in fan - those'd probably be great for slow 1st gear stuff - but who knows! (and they are damn expensive).

Further, I'll need to fit a roll-off system and perhaps also tear offs to the goggles.

So what's everyone's experience?? What's good?

Thanks!! :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Double lens is the way to go, IMO. Not sure about the fan one. I think someone had that unit a while ago. Maybe they'll chime in. :thumbsup:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

The Pro-Grip light sensitive lens goggles( don't know the model name),never seem to fog over. I don't think you can mount roll offs on them but I'm not positive on that. They do come with tear off pegs on the lens though. WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

I second what WRDave said about the ProGrip LS goggles. The only time I experienced very minor fogging was when I stopped after a particularly intensive single track. However, as soon as I started moving (still first gear), it went away. The temps were ~8C. Yesterday was a warm day at Bar C so I sweated more and also had no issues with fogging. Great goggles and cheap.

:cheers:

fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fasteer »

unless it's real dusty, I'm tempted to leave the goggles in the truck & go with wraparound sunglasses...
Frank

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I use a set of quick straps for the trail days and love them. they allow you to cool down faster when you are stopped for a couple seconds at a trail head and wouldn't consider taking a full strapped pair off. during races I run full straps with the theory that I should never be going slow enough to fog up :buttkick:

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I have trouble with goggles. Fogging and overheating are my biggest issues. I have tried everything from roll double lenses to quickstraps. I have found a cheap pair of wrap around safety glasses work best for me. They are around $10/pr. The last goggle lens I bought was for Smith PMT's and it was $40! These safety glasses come in all shapes and tints, I have 3 different shades in my gearbag. I will still use goggles, but like Kickstart said only on real dusty days like in the 'Kook or when it's cold out.
Last edited by chucker on Mon May 08, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

Go for the pro grip with the orange lenses.

They dont fog
They are comfortable
the orange gives you excellant vision. Less shadows.

they are worth every penny.........ask the champ and see what he says. (shane C)

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

I have serious fogging issues as well, and its not the goggle fogging usually its my glasses. I used to use the large framed Smiths and if there was not dust, I'd have foam ripped out of the vents allowing more air flow and this really helps. Turn your head left or right and lift the goggle offyour face on the down wind side gets air moving. Prep your goggles and glasses with no fog cloth or rain x as well.

Then go get some progrips and all your probs are gone. The above will work well if you are meticulous and are need to be carefull with your budget.

cheers

fry

RPM 550MXC
User
User

Post by RPM 550MXC »

what I have done in the past is cut away some of the foam from top of the goggles this will help with air flow and reduce fogging start in the middle and work your way out
2005 CRF450X

RACING Because Football,Basketball, and Golf only require ONE BALL

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

So that's it? That's all I get? Glasses, Progrips, and cut away the foam?

Huh, well don't get me wrong - I really appreciate the knowledge shared. I just was hoping to hear something I don't already do!

Thanks for your feedback everyone! :cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

crazy2wheeler wrote:So that's it? That's all I get? Glasses, Progrips, and cut away the foam?

Huh, well don't get me wrong - I really appreciate the knowledge shared. I just was hoping to hear something I don't already do!

you could try hitting the gym 1.5 hours ever morning before work to weight train, then hop on your road bike and peddle the 25km to and from work so that way you would never break a sweat while joyriding your KTM around on weekends. :applause:

You said you wanted to try something you don't already do.......:buttkick:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Dobi wrote:
crazy2wheeler wrote:So that's it? That's all I get? Glasses, Progrips, and cut away the foam?

you could try hitting the gym 1.5 hours ever morning before work to weight train, then hop on your road bike and peddle the 25km to and from work so that way you would never break a sweat while joyriding your KTM around on weekends. :applause:

You said you wanted to try something you don't already do.......:buttkick:
Thanks Mike (ya Smartass!)

Even tho I know it's good advice... :banana:

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

crazy

We're all looking for the wuick answer, and when it comes to vision there isn't one.

However, have you ever noticed that a dirt biker is always the guy driving through the ugliest weather with poor wiper blades and a busted windshield!!!!

Only cause we can and adversity simply does not bother us as bad.

I hope you find a way to get comfortable vision.

fry

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Oakleys rule. very comfy and the snowcross lens is unbeatable. i have the same problem, i sweat and steam everything. it doesn't matter what shape i am in or what conditions i ride or what sport i play, i sweat and steam. i purchased a whole bunch of jimi caps because lots of people were showing interest, they are a small cap that fits under your helmet and can absorb a lot of sweat and wick it to the back, they work slick. i have a bunch of different sizes and colours, $20 each.
Back to the oakleys, the snowcross lens is a double lens with tear off posts AND front vent holes built in to the top of the lens itself, plus the goggle frame vent holes. i ride all winter with these lens, gauranteed no problems for spring-fall.
if pro grip sells a double lens, with tear off posts, with built in venting into the lens and at $25 per lens....i will buy pro grip because the shape of the frame fits my face and helmet better.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC