Where to take forks?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
gggunit
User
User

Where to take forks?

Post by gggunit »

One of my forks is leaking. Anyone know of a good shop? Price?
Husaberg 350
CRF 250x

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Where to take forks?

Post by Braap791 »

Pro Action Suspension (Don Ellis), Enzo (Tim Zacharias), Riders Edge (Lee Fryberger) All good choices prices vary depending on what you need done and if you need bushings or springs and/or revalving. You will have to google the phone numbers as I am not sure if we can post them or not!

gggunit
User
User

Post by gggunit »

Thanks! I think its just the seal thats leaking. I would try to do it myself but it lost alot of oil.
Husaberg 350
CRF 250x

gggunit
User
User

Post by gggunit »

Any places near Calgary? Does $300 sound high? $50 for seals and 250 for labor. I took the forks off already.
Husaberg 350
CRF 250x

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

300 is about the norm. Pro Action is located in Airdrie and I beleive with Enzo if you OK it with Tim you can still do drop offs at Cycleworks Foothills (Okotoks) and he comes to get them.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

$300 seems high to me. Riders edge in Vernon states $129 for a fork rebuild, plus parts. So add $50 for seals and $25 for oil and you are still under $300.

What bike? It is really only a 30min ordeal for fork seals on a KTM and truly is an easy job. Lots of youtube videos from Slavens, rockymountainATV and the likes...

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

Another place is Ride Concepts in Chestermere. I've had him do a couple services and with labour, seals and oil I'm pretty sure it was around $200. Dave's really good at getting them done pretty quick too.

gggunit
User
User

Post by gggunit »

Its a 2013 husaberg 350. I got them done. I thought it was 248$ but notice on credit card statement they also charged me another $ 52 for seals. I think $300 is high. I called them and they said to call back tomorrow when the boss is in. I even took forks off bike too. I went there because they only charged my friend $210 to do his forks. Annoying. Wont go back.
Husaberg 350
CRF 250x

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

To do a complete oil change, outer and inner cartridge, nitrogen recharge, and good seals is just over $100 just parts and supplies. Expect to pay $80 for 2 sets of seals. Learn to do it your self, takes no more than 1.5hrs to do a thourgh job.
#Z3B

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I think you can easily pay $45 per side for the new SKF seals on KTM and Bergs vs. $20 for a set on an older bike. That won't make the pill any easier to swallow, but might explain some of the difference.

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

It seems a bit steep. Pro Action did both seals, service and a revalve for $350 for me. It was money well spent for the increased fork ride quality.
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

If you are ever looking in the future we do them at Blackfoot Direct. Carlos is very detailed when he works on suspension. Prices are as follows:
- fork seal and oil change loose forks $169 + parts
- fork seal and oil change on bike $229 + parts

Parts typically are as follows:
- fork oil $15
- SKF seals $39.99 a side for oil and dust (no extra charge for HD double lip seals)
- if bushings are worn add extra but typically OK

We also offer next day service on most forks and we do not charge the typical 7% shop supplies sur-charge for RMDRA members. This covers the costs of contact cleaner (usually one can per set of forks), shop towels, disposal fees for old oil and other misc shop supplies used.

We always have lots of SKF seals and oil in stock so even for you do it yourself guys we can hook you up.

Thx
Dean
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Bunjy

Post by Bunjy »

Can I get a update on this please, I have a 2012 WR450 and sure enough one fork seal is leaking. I called BD and they quoted me $400 on the bike and $350 off for both, seems expensive. Is this what I should expect? if this is the case I will have to buy the parts and learn to do it myself.

Where is everyone here going?, and what is a realistic cost? I was expecting under $300.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Professionals deserve to be paid for their time and overhead and consumables... I would think $300-400 is in the ball park for walking them into a shop.

WR450 of that vintage should be open cartridge KYB.

With some basic tooling (cap tool, rod holder and a real seal driver, ~$100, vice covers are nice +$25 but not necessary), YouTube instruction (free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kwV98lZ4Y or bribing someone with knowledge and a 12 pack to supervise), and ~$70 in premium KYB or SKF seal kit, and 2 quarts of fork oil $30... YOU CAN DO IT! :D And beat your chest in victory after, like the damn smart hairy bipedal glorious ape you are!

IMO, this is basic servicing that almost every dirt biker should be capable of, or else feel shame, and get a real hit in the wallet. then you save the $ for the pros to do more ridiculous mods like big bores, head porting and re valving. :lol:

Even if you try it and you eff it up, you walk a pile of parts into a shop (as long as you don't get all medieval on disassembly, remember CLAW HAMMERS ARE NEVER REQUIRED during a dirt bike service, unless you're my neighbors... :D ).

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

there is also Reynolds brothers racing in Airdrie good service pricing and turn around time
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw