Mounting studded tires

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Tire goo

Post by thumper-darryl »

Soap BAD, WD-40 BAD, tire goo GOOD, Armour-all ?? Interesting idea. I do not know the properties of Armour-all. Will play with some. HMMM. :confused:
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

I use what ever is close by, never had a problem with the tire slipping although I do have two rim locks. I usually use Windex or Armor-all seeing, as that’s what is in the garage. If nothing else, I use water or even saliva it’s a good lubricant.
KTM 250 xcfw #53

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BigD wrote:I use what ever is close by, never had a problem with the tire slipping although I do have two rim locks. I usually use Windex or Armor-all seeing, as that’s what is in the garage. If nothing else, I use water or even saliva it’s a good lubricant.
Ewwww, saliva, that's a technical term. :D

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

This is hear say as I've never actually confirmed the theory.

Thumper-Darryl is correct as far as WD-40 is concerned, a lube, will break down ruber etc.

Soaps when they dry get 'tacky', but any moisture returns them to their lube stage.

Now my uncle is not CEO at this company so don't laugh and think of it as a shameless plug, but house hold 'Fantastic' is slippery when wet and dries as a bonding agent. Too many people in the know use and recommend it so I don't argue. However I hate it when I go to mount a tire and its not to be found, BUT the house sure looks and smells clean!!!!

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

Having just mounted my 1st set of studded tires and enjoyed a great innitiation ride :banana: despite the single lense goggles :banghead:
I found the following worked...

1) wear proper gloves ... those spikes hurt ... the family dog was cleaning the blood splats up for me :\
2) heating everything up sure helps
3) any oil will turn the rubber rim seal contact area into a tacky glue over time ... tire mounting lube works :D
4) found I had to inflate to 50psi and use a couple of hits with a rubber malet to seat the beads perfectly
5) my fellow riders soon educated me on the pitfalls of not mounting the vavle stem correctly (do not double nut) :bonk:

now, if I can get my hands on some black locktite to maintain the studs (thanks rooster) it should be a fun winter of riding

:cheers:

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

DIRTTV wrote:Armor all is the be all end all. This stuff is wicked for putting on tires. Dish soap is the worst. Just think when you cross a river with soap on your tires the tire could spin because of the soap getting wet again. this is a way for your tube to spin and pull off the valve stem. I like Daryll's method but I will stick to the armor all!!!!!!!!!
All I have ever used is dish soap (usually Sunlight) and have never spun a tire. I guess the rim lock must work.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!