Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
User avatar
Petard
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 am
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Postby Petard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Spinalguy wrote:i buy t joists from rona lumber.i use 8 ft ones as i like a gentle slope ($30). i then fashion some wood slats across to act as steps. i use that ramp for walking up and down in rain, snow or sun.
i always have the bike running to get it up.
i use this method for my 450 and 950, although i do need to psych myself up with the 950 every time.
Down is simple, up is nerving. ha.

i have dropped the 950 a few times and i have crunched my tailgate 3 times when i forget to tie down the ramp to the truck and the bike spits it away, that almost always sucks.


Nice thing about the readymade ramps is that they fold, but the cost is pretty high, for sure :crybaby: compared to $30 :thumbsup:

I need to psych myself up to get my 230 down :lol:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
Spinalguy
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:42 am
Contact:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Postby Spinalguy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am

Petard wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:i buy t joists from rona lumber.i use 8 ft ones as i like a gentle slope ($30). i then fashion some wood slats across to act as steps. i use that ramp for walking up and down in rain, snow or sun.
i always have the bike running to get it up.
i use this method for my 450 and 950, although i do need to psych myself up with the 950 every time.
Down is simple, up is nerving. ha.

i have dropped the 950 a few times and i have crunched my tailgate 3 times when i forget to tie down the ramp to the truck and the bike spits it away, that almost always sucks.


Nice thing about the readymade ramps is that they fold, but the cost is pretty high, for sure :crybaby: compared to $30 :thumbsup:

I need to psych myself up to get my 230 down :lol:

i found the angle of the folding ones was too steep for me, i love the longer ramp for walking, but i also have a 8.5 foot box to throw it in.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com/soft-tissue-injuries/

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
Petard
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 am
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Postby Petard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Spinalguy wrote:i found the angle of the folding ones was too steep for me, i love the longer ramp for walking, but i also have a 8.5 foot box to throw it in.


You'd be surprised how heavy even a little TT-R230 can be at 35° :crazy:

8.5' box :thinking: What do you drive to haul your toys around?

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
Spinalguy
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:42 am
Contact:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Postby Spinalguy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Petard wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:i found the angle of the folding ones was too steep for me, i love the longer ramp for walking, but i also have a 8.5 foot box to throw it in.


You'd be surprised how heavy even a little TT-R230 can be at 35° :crazy:

8.5' box :thinking: What do you drive to haul your toys around?

its an old dodge, closer to 8 feet, but certainly longer than 8 feet.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com/soft-tissue-injuries/

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
Krissy
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Postby Krissy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 pm

This may of been said, I didn't read the whole thread but as a short person :D I had to get creative with the loading too.

I only have one ramp and a bike stand to work with so I generally strap the ramp to the hitch so it won't slide out. Then I put the bike stand where I know I can step up onto it through the transitions from ground to stand and stand to tail gate. Now because I'm so short, I can't physically push the bike on the ramp, there just isn't enough leverage, so I start the bike and walk beside it (I'm on the left side btw). I go very slow, one finger always on the break lever and one on the clutch for safety, and I make my way up the ramp.
It is a little awkward, but it works.

If you can, when you park try to find a dip in the grass or a small rut and park your rear tires in it to lower the tail gate for unloading.

To unload I just go slow, when the bike reaches the point where i need to step down i usually turn the bars completely to the right and let the front tire rest on the tail gate while I step down. Then I straighten out and just roll back.

Maybe I can take a video for you, and you can see how a smaller person does it haha (not saying thats your issue) but it can be done!
2009 KTM 250 XCW

#92

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
Petard
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 am
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Postby Petard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks, Krissy :cheers: I solved the problem for myself by getting a second ramp, so no more step :applause: I just need some practice walking the bike up and down the ramp.

I'm of average height, but my truck tilts up at the rear (making my 'compact' Canyon look as big as the Sierra, almost), so there is some height to surmount. Also, I don't have a hitch. Officially, GMC does not recommend towing with the manual transmission models, but the dealership told me I could, but I would have to go to the Hitch Store to get outfitted. That was a lot of hassle and I had decided against a prohibitively costly ATV anyway, opting for a dirt bike that would fit neatly into the 6'2" box. I have seen some of those cool hitch-mounted graduated steps, but I opted for the second ramp since it just seems easier and was readily available at the store I bought all of my gear.

Yes, parking on a slope is a no-brainer :thumbsup: but it doesn't help in my garage :lol:

Re: Just a little problem... loading and unloading the bike

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 


Return to “Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests