Jetting Guru's Required

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Giles
Writer
Writer

Jetting Guru's Required

Post by Giles »

Calling all Jedi's...........Just bought a 2014 KTM 300 XC-W and I am wondering what everybody here is doing for jetting/needle position/air screw setting for our riding elevations?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Giles

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Jetting Guru's Required

Post by erniebearskin »

Jetting from the manual is off? My Husaberg was jetted pretty darn close using the settings from the book.

I go back under my rock now .
Bikeless....

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Manual.......what is that?

Haha, just kidding........I will most certainly have a look at the manual, was just hoping to hear what others with the new 2014's has to say, as I understand it there were some jetting changes from the 2013's.

driveink

Post by driveink »

make sure your spark arrestor screen is clean in your tailpipe as well, best of luck, I am not kidding, saw a guy this summer with a 2013 te 250 we worked on the jets we checked the reeds we did all kinds of things with the airscrew and low and behold it was the little screen that was plugged in the tailpipe,as soon as it was cleaned it the bike stopped sputtering and whammo it was off like a bat out of you know where! So Slavens takes a 10$ propane torch and burns off the screen, it gets red and then its done, all the sludge is cooked off. pilot 38 k needle 2nd position 158 main, 300 xc 2013 riders edge suspension, honed, runs like a rocket ship thanks to Ian!

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

2014 300's have a Boysen reed cage so the jetting is quite a bit different than the 2013 and earlier iterations. Based on my limited knowledge, I'd drop the needle one clip position for now given that the cooler temperatures are leaning things out as it is, and leave it at that until you are well broken in. Then if you are a glutton for punishment, spend endless hours looking glassy-eyed at the jetting threads on ktmtalk.com as everyone chimes in with a million different recommendations. Be mindful that the XC-W has a lower compression head than the XC so it will generally have a leaner overall set up (just look at your manual to see how the factory jetting on the XC varies from that of the XC-W). Most of the killer jetting combos that everyone recommends will be for the XC's.

You should be completely baffled by spring.

Ahamay
User
User

Post by Ahamay »

clamacious wrote:Be mindful that the XC-W has a lower compression head than the XC so it will generally have a leaner overall set up (just look at your manual to see how the factory jetting on the XC varies from that of the XC-W).
wrong. not on 300's.

just look at your book and start with that.

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

Oops. :blush: That'll learn me to make an assumption. Shudda looked at the online 300 manuals first. The jetting tables are indeed the same for the XC and the XC-W, ergo the engines are the same....

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

So nobody on here has a 2014 KTM 300 XC-W that has done anything to the jetting and such?

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Hi all, just wanted to let you know what I have been advised to do in regards to jetting on the new 2014 300 XCW and make sure it makes sense.

At this point I won't do it until the spring but here is what people are suggesting:

2 clip on the needle
162 main
Red spring on the power value.

Make Sense? Has anyone else done this?