Linkage no linkage

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Linkage no linkage

Post by cedric »

The other downside to a linkage is maintaining all those bearings and seals. Linkage bearings sit down low and get dragged through the mud a lot, and they take a beating from all the grit and water. Go look at a few used dirt bikes and you'll see that lots of people don't know how to, or can't be bothered with, cleaning and greasing their linkages. For me, it's probably my favorite thing about PDS, is not having to do the regular linkage maintenance.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

steve-o wrote:
primerib72 wrote: Why are aftermarket parts retailers are fabricating these guards specifically for the KTM?

Because people with ktm's recogonize what a work of art their bikes are and will buy anything for their bikes if its avaialble to not only enhance it's beauty but functionality. kinda like owning a ferrari, you don't go putting uniroyal tires on it do you? If i had a yamaha I wouldn't care. :smirk:

Watch out for those pointy, triangular shaped logs.
You have such a sureal way of explaining things Steve.......how thoughtless of me to doubt you. I bask in your awesomeness :nworthy: and look forward to more yamaha banter. :lol:

Did you buy one of those linkage skid plates?
CR250R

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

primerib72 wrote:
You have such a sureal way of explaining things Steve.......how thoughtless of me to doubt you. I bask in your awesomeness :nworthy: and look forward to more yamaha banter. :lol:

Did you buy one of those linkage skid plates?
Nope, I have aftermarket linkage and it is orange. Orange linkage won't catch things. It's proven.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

350scott wrote:Back to the question at hand. The quick answer is if the suspension is setup properly it doesn't really matter. The general thinking is the PDS works better on general trail hack and the linkage works better on big hits. Again get whatever suspension you have setup correctly and for 99% of us that's what really matters.
I would have to agree with this.I 've ridden several of the Linkage KTM's and really don't notice any difference from my PDS set up.That being said I think the link is easier to set up for the average rider and my PDS has several mods.I can't speak for heavier riders but I now the key to setting up the PDS for lighter riders is the Langston Progessive spring.If you set up the clickers/ revalve etc for the roots and rocks, the spring stiffens up the last 1/3 for the travel to really soak up the big impacts.The first time I noticed this was when I ran my XC shock setting in an Areanacross and thought I was going to die in the whoops/rockers. With the spring stiffening up the last part of the travel it worked amazing - I was shocked.I also really notice it down at Kooc in the huge high speed sand whoops, on the gas in 5th/6th gear it dances across the top of the whoops straight as an arrow.
What hasn't been mentioned here is the added weight of the linkage. These aren't claimed weights but actual weights.
2011 XC 300 PDS = 220.5 lbs.
2012 XC 300 linkage = 228 lbs.
No thanks, I'll take PDS any day. Never thought I'd see the day the XC-W was lighter than the XC. :thumbsdown

Dickie
User
User

Post by Dickie »

Thanks

I think your correct. Everything seems to go to linkage. I bet ktm will also.

I think I'll try out a gas gas. I'll take a hit on resale but what the heck. I'm sick and tired of all the ktm friends I have. A certain kind of guy rides a ktm and I'm not one of them types ( I don't like farm animals). Kidding. Thanks for all the feedback.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

How tall are you? Reason I ask is that the Huskys are pretty tall. Very comfy for a 6'6" guy. The design may not be as current as the others around, but the initial cost reflects it. Oh, you will not get an e-start.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

FYI, Husqvarna Canada went into receivership last week.
http://www.insidemotocross.ca/news/industry-news.html

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Yep, and Husky North America is taking over.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Just wondering if any one has further insight on this debate. I am considering a new steed and was hoping for a linkage up date :thinking:

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

I am in the same boat. Could I assume with all the new blue bikes out this year that the PDS system still has its fans? I definitely have to wait to see what the new berg/husky's look like. An injected 2st with PDS would be my ticket!
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I rode a 2013 KTM 250XC last night (with linkage) and I thought that the suspension was greatly improved over the 2012 version.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

I do not believe there is any clead definitive answer. I like the PDS for some of the reasons already mentioned. I do not miss tearing down my linkage to clean and grease everything. The first time I pulled the shock on my PDS I knew right away I was going to be a happier guy in the garage. Now it gets torn down once a year for a check. Linkage, forget it.

Linkage systems are designed for bigger hits. Not to say a PDS equipped bike can't handle it too. Many people comment that traction on loose surface is improved with PDS due to its design. I havent noticed a difference but I am not a top caliber rider either.

Does the linkage get hung up from time to time? On occasion. I never picked a different line because I thought it would slow me down though.

On the new orange bikes its more about motor and transmission choices than suspension. Want the wide ratio with lights and you will get PDS. Do not care about lights and wide ratio you will end up with linkage. Whatever you get it is more valued to have the suspension set up for you. Talk to some of the local suspension service providers about proper valving and tuning. The manual and stock set up will only get you so far.

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

i was definately unsure when i went to linkage and before i had it set up right i hated it but once i had the proper sag i love it.I find it tracks better really does take the big hits like nothing and the added weight is down low so i don't feel it.I agree with steve, the only time i felt something catch the linkage was when i didn't hit a log right.I wouldn't worry about it,buy the bike that looks good to you,like scott said once set up the newer ones all feel good.

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Thanks for the replies and opinions. I am waiting for the specs on the 2014's to come out... :thumbsup:

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Specs on the 14? They are out. I believe some shops have already have delivery dates set.