Antifreeze in my oil?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
LilMel17
User
User

Antifreeze in my oil?

Post by LilMel17 »

Changed the oil in my KTM 200 XC today and noticed antifreeze in my oil pan? never seen this before? :confused:

Did a top end a few months ago and also noticed antifreeze in my cylinder ?? told that was normal?? but not to sure it is...

Any Thoughts??

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Antifreeze in my oil?

Post by axel99 »

Check the o-rings on the head. Did you replace them? Coolant in the cylinder bore is not normal. If you only have coolant in the gearbox I would suspect the water pump seal.
#Z3B

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I should clarify that it is possible a small amount of coolant leaked into your cylinder if you removed the head when rebuilding the top end.
#Z3B

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

are you down alot of coolant more than usual with KTM from boiling over?

1.8 rad caps put ALOT of pressure on KTMS o-rings seals etc as the seem to get much hotter than a JAP bike.

Yamaha has 1.4 caps for example.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Leaking past the piston / head doesn't go into the oil of a two stroke.

Likely water pump seals.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Could be a leaky head gasket and a water pump seal :thinking:....but not very likley.
#Z3B

LilMel17
User
User

Post by LilMel17 »

I replaced all the gaskits and O-rings when the top end was done. I noticed the head gaskit that was on there was very gooie and soft.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

LilMel17 wrote:I replaced all the gaskits and O-rings when the top end was done. I noticed the head gaskit that was on there was very gooie and soft.

It shouldn't be. Should be like thick paper / crushed cardboard.

The cylinder and head gaskets just seal the coolant passages from combustion and atmosphere. 2-strokes do not have oil in the crank case like a 4-stroke. That's why you mix oil and it circulates around the crank prior to going into the cylinder.

Do you have oil in your coolant (brown sludge in your rads?). Water pumps usually have two seals. Once for oil, and one for coolant. One or both can wear. Older pumps can sometimes chew seals when bushings are worn, etc.

Either way, should be a relatively cheap and easy fix.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think the 200s use o-rings for the head gasket, no?

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Yes it would have an o-ring on the head. But if that was leaking it would take quite awhile to make its way to the tranny. It could explain a little ontop of the piston, or that was just residual from removing the head.

Water pump seal sounds viable. Or the case vent sucked in a bunch of water.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Coolant and water look different in oil. Coolant keeps it's colour once settled.

As for head rings or base gasket, there is no oil in the crank. It may drip past into the cylinder, only to get burnt the second you fire it up.... Ahh. The sweet smell of burning coolant.

When you drain the oil on a 2-smoke, you're only changing the gear oil, which is shared with some gears on the water pump/starter side, and clutch. It doesn't lube the crank below the piston. That's why it burns oil.

Still not sure why your head gaskets or base gaskets were gooey though... Was this previous rebuilt by somebody else? Makes me wonder what seals were used.

LilMel17
User
User

Post by LilMel17 »

i bought the bike used in 2010 so i am not too sure what was rebuilt before hand. The piston looked good when i did the top end, the only thing i was concerned about was the gaskets and the coolant in the cylinder and then when i changed the oil coolant in that as well.

Not to sure how it got there as i have never seen this before. It was green and i do not use green oil. I will have to check out a few of the things that were suggested.