'13 KTM 2stroke Throttle Safety Recall

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

'13 KTM 2stroke Throttle Safety Recall

Post by Bark »

Hi,

Just an FYI for the 2013 KTM folks out there. Not sure at all which bikes are affected but I'm sure your favorite KTM dealer is happy to help you out.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=475211

This was an issue for my brother in Moab this spring as his throttle did stick twice. He pulled his clutch in twice to prevent an escalated incident.

Cheers,
Aaron

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: '13 KTM 2stroke Throttle Safety Recall

Post by clamacious »

Yeah, I read that and checked the KTM Canada website for recall info: it's not yet a campaign here in Canada. Until I can get that new throttle piece I'm going to take as much slack as is feasible out of my throttle cable. It appears that the problem is caused by the throttle cable falling off the plastic wheel/pulley thingie inside the throttle and then jamming against the throttle body. :thumbsdown:

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Interesting story...
Gerry Glazier has a 2013 300XC and was with our group in Moab. I mentioned this recall to him and he said it had never stuck on him. The next day while riding some whoops sections, it stuck on him 3 times.
I had a spare throttle housing for my 2012 300XC, which he used until he was able to get it into a nearby dealership for the changeover.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

I think I put around 50 hours on my 2013 last year and no issues thankfully, I had also replaced the stock throttle cable with a longer motion pro to re route it as I find the stock cables so short. I wonder if that helps the situation.

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

I have the longer Motion Pro cable as well, and the problem still occurred.

Both times for me were on some whoops as well, with a bit of speed. First time it stuck around 1/3rd to 1/2 throttle and second time wasn't as bad (maybe just around 10 %)

Happened those two times on a 6-day trip.

Cheers,
Rod
'13 KTM 250 xc

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

While there has not been an official bulletin posted for Canadian dealers and owners the warranty can still be done. We have done 10 already last week.

Good news/Bad News

Good news - We have a bunch of the new updated housings here in stock at Blackfoot Direct.

Bad news - I can only do them for Husabergs TE's I don't care if bought the bike from Blackfoot Direct or not we will take care of it for you! PS - Only Canadian serial number bikes.

Give us a call to make an appointment as we can do it while you wait!
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Why does the KTM Canada website still have no news of this? That or it is very obscur on the site. :confused:

Anyway, here is a link from a Govenment site that was just sent to me.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-al ... 9r-eng.php
The voices are back. Awesome!