Does your KTM start using the e-start when it is cold?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Does your KTM start using the e-start when it is cold?

Post by absurveyor »

I always kick start my 2T when cold. It starts on the first kick or 2 anyway. Most people refer to the KTM starters as restarters. You should replace the stock battery (AnD Batteries in town provide cheap batteries that last) and keep it charged for best performance. The starter is reserved for on the trail and is most welcome on uphills and at the end of the day :D
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

spike747

Post by spike747 »

malcolmzilla wrote:Some thoughts:

I have to kick my WR450 if below zero-ish. The 530 e starts just fine (no choke even with the AWD transfer case).
The difference is the WR has a Shorai, and the EXC has a Ballistic with about 230 CCA, as opposed to the 130 of the Shorai. :thinking:
Maybe the starter just isnt seeing enough amperages to turn fast enough, plus the extra drag of cold oil.
Do you go to a 5W40 or lighter in the gearbox in winter?

My buddies Berg570 never starts in the cold. Always freaking push starting it.
I've been reading on other forums about the Shorai's having lots of cold problems. AHr rating is much less when they are cold. I'm follow a post right now of a guy from Florida that can't get his street bike started on cold mornings. He got a warranty replacement from Shorai too and it still is a problem. Not sure if its a chemistry problem with Lithium Iron or a Shorai problem. I was serious thinking of getting a Shorai since they offer a 14 AHr version for my bike as opposed to the stupid stock 3 AHr POS on my 300. But now I'm not sure.

That being said, in spring and summer months I always cold start my 300 with e-start with no problems. 20 seconds of turning the bike over after a water crossing is the only time the e-start has failed me.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

My experience with the Shorai I've got has been great. Started my bike at -20, battery was happy, bike wasn't.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

My understanding is that the lithium iron batteries do not have much cranking power when cold, but as you draw power from them, they should warm up quickly and start to provide full power. From the Shorai site:
Q. I hear that lithium crank poorly when it gets cold, is that right?A.Lithium do increase in resistance more as temperature drops, compared to lead-acid. However, they also react to cranking under cold conditions in a much better way. Lead-acid will increase resistance on each subsequent cranking attempt, until it won’t turn over. If your LFX fails to start the engine on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger, and so on until you get a good start.

Shorai LFX are much better in cold-weather conditions than other-brand lithium starter batteries, due to our eXtreme-rate formulation with low resistance. Down to about 20 degrees fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40f (5C), 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0f (-17C), leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. Any other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc...