XC or XC-W, what's up??

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

XC or XC-W, what's up??

Post by Jonny5 »

Well I have sold my 4T and I am looking at buying a 300 2T. After some quick research it seems the KTM XC-W is a perfect fit for me (and the country we live and ride in). So I am in search for a high quality nearly new bike, I am surprise to see that almost all used bikes up for sale have been of he XC variety. I found this surprising or maybe I am missing something? I have been watching Kijiji for a while now and this seems to be a trend. Perhaps the XC-W is not so perfect???

This leads me to believe:
1. Very few people are are buying the XC-W new and opting for the XC or
2. People love them so much that no one wants to part with them

I am not looking to revisit the specs and differences, just some input/opinions as to any thoughts on this.

Jon.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: XC or XC-W, what's up??

Post by steve-o »

this has been asked alot.

what you should do is go look at the one in the classifieds, the 11' 300 from dobi, and then buy it. it's all W except for the cc forks which I like better than the open chambers softo's on the W.

the price is right too.

good luck

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Both units are perfectly capable bikes. The gearing is almost identical. The W has a fork that is a little easier to service yourself in that it does not require a trip across town for a nitrogen charge. The W does have an hour meter and comes with lights.
The faster guys around here tend to go with the xc as they are able to push a bit harder into the roots and rocks and the front end will stand up and respond better. The W will tend to bunch up in the repetitive hack in my opinion.

Www.ktmtalk.com is a good source for this discussion.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Dobi wrote:Both units are perfectly capable bikes. The gearing is almost identical. The W has a fork that is a little easier to service yourself in that it does not require a trip across town for a nitrogen charge. The W does have an hour meter and comes with lights.
The faster guys around here tend to go with the xc as they are able to push a bit harder into the roots and rocks and the front end will stand up and respond better. The W will tend to bunch up in the repetitive hack in my opinion.

http://Www.ktmtalk.com is a good source for this discussion.
only the new 13 W come with lights, i think he is looking for used.

I'm telling you, dobi's xc is a good buy. put on bark busters and go.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

The latest XCs (2012-13) have linkage rear suspension which some like and some don't like. For me, with my meager skills, I'd prefer to not have the linkage as I will be very likely to ride the linkage into a hard object at some point. If it ain't there, it can't break.

There is the odd fast guy who prefers the XC-W over the XC. But, it seems to me like the general fast guy prefers the XC.

I think for 'new', some of the fast folks are migrating to the Husaberg TE250/300. The TE has an even newer fork (4CS?) and they do not have linkage. Plus, I believe, they come with lights and a larger stator to run them. Sorry to introduce that to the discussion as you were just asking about XC, XC-W. I suspect most used machines, either XC or XC-W will have lights.

I wanted to try the CC forks of the XC so thats what I purchased. I honestly don't know if I could feel a difference for the pace I ride at. I'm doing a rebuild on the forks and have a future trip across town (to be scheduled with dirtyboy at some point) to charge them with N2.

Since you want used, you can probably afford to be picky for a few more weeks before bikes start selling super fast. Perhaps not, bike bug seems in full swing.

FWIW, I rode Dobi's last used bike (owned by Zook) once at a trail clearing day and the off idle carburation was hands down the best in a field of 8-10 bikes. Don't know if that was due to Dobi's influence or not.

Cheers,
Aaron

Hamel333
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hamel333 »

I was in your shoes last year.I was lucky, I have about four friends all with different makes of KTM's so I got a chance to ride all of them 300 xc/xc-w,400 xcw and a 250 xc. all from 08-11. I come from a motocross back ground so I was used to something with some hit ( YZ 250 F). when I tried all of them out i found the xcw's to be sluggish in the tight trails but super fast and smooth on the open trails. The xc's on the other hand were almost as fast ( and when i say this I mean tapped out in 5th or 6th gear, How often do you use that). but a much more of a responsive ride. I ended up buying the 2011 350f xc. It is the best bike I have ever ridden. all my friends say it has the nicest ride out of all of theirs. with the six speed trany I have no issues keeping up with the xcw's. No it doesn't come with lights but the 2012 and 13's have all the electrical there. I guess when you buy a KTM everyone has this same question. whichever way you go I think you will enjoy it. I wasn't very brand loyal but I am now.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Don't let top speed be an issue, most people don't have the lack of smarts to hold a 5 speed 300XC to it's wide open potential. And if you can, chances are your buddies on a W won't be able to :blush:

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

I don't have any experience with the XCW, but loved my 2009 XC. I'm slow, and found the front end a bit harsh at first. This is easily fixed by removing a bit of oil from the outer chamber on the forks, very easy to do. As others have mentioned, the alternative is to ride faster. :eek:

I ended up going with another XC this year, but the 2013 with the link rear suspension. I haven't ridden it yet, but I guess I'll soon find out if the link gets in the way, but I'm not too worried about it (famous last words). The nice thing about the link, if you are short like me, is that you can lower the seat pretty easily by putting on a lowering link (i.e. a bit longer link).

I picked up one of these, which also adds some protection, it's adjustable so it can be stock height, or lowered in different increments (for a max 1/2 lower seat).

Good luck with your choice, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Cheers,
Rod
'13 KTM 250 xc

Hamel333
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hamel333 »

Hey Rod if you don't mind me asking where did you get that linkage protector and how much was it. what a great idea. i am going to pick one up as soon as i find out where i can get it.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Hamel333 wrote:Hey Rod if you don't mind me asking where did you get that linkage protector and how much was it. what a great idea. i am going to pick one up as soon as i find out where i can get it.
I'm not sure if the local dealers are stocking these yet or not, but I got mine at gnarlyparts.ca $ 300 There is a new version of this guard/link. It has even more protection ( piece goes from the bottom "fin" to the back nut)

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

Not sure the best place to get them, I got mine last September when they first came out and had to wait a bit.

They are now $249 ($50 less than when I bought), or $300 for the Pro version that MtnBlue mentioned. Can't argue with progress I guess!

Can probably get them where ever Fastway stuff is carried. I'm not sure on the forum rules for posting links to sites, but if you google: "fastway performance linkage skid" you should see more info about the two products and get some part numbers you can give your favorite supplier...

Cheers,
Rod
'13 KTM 250 xc

Hamel333
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hamel333 »

thanks I'm looking into it

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Thanks to everyone who took a few moments to type a few thoughts. I was once set on the xcw but i am now re-thinking my position on what bike to get. In the end, being old and slow, it won't matter that much. However, I am really excited about getting back on a smoker!!

Jon
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Jonny5 wrote:Thanks to everyone who took a few moments to type a few thoughts. I was once set on the xcw but i am now re-thinking my position on what bike to get. In the end, being old and slow, it won't matter that much. However, I am really excited about getting back on a smoker!!

Jon
being 'old and slow' is where it matters the most when comparing an xc or xcw as to which bike is 'right' for me.

schwang
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by schwang »

Hey Jon, i didn't know you were swiching to a 2T . You could have pounded my xcw last time we rode together to test it out. I have never rode an xc so i can't compare. I can say i am super duper happy with the 12 xcw. I have no problem getting around in tight ugly stuff but the bike is undersprung for my weight - 195 lbs without gear. The factory spec for the 12 is 165 - 186 lbs incl. riding gear. I have sent my suspension to Riders Edge in Vernon for a respring ect ( not the bikes fault ). Can't wait to ride this thing to its full potential this season. I really don't think you can go wrong with either model but i am partial to the linkless rear setup and the gear ratio of the W. Going from your 450 to either 300 will put a permanent smile on your face i'm sure. :cheers: