I got a nube question

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cooper
Contributor
Contributor

I got a nube question

Post by cooper »

How do i get the seat off my 2009 wr450 .and how do you know if the front forks are in need of seals .thanks

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Re: I got a nube question

Post by Ricktc »

To remove the seat remove the two bolts at the top edge of the side number plates just beneath the edges of the seat, slide the seat back about an inch and pull it straight up. Fork seals should be replaced if they begin to leak, or if the suspension on the bike hasn't been serviced in anywhere from 50-80 hours.

-Rick

cooper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cooper »

Thanks Rick. just got it yesterday. i know sweet f a about dirt bikes.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have successfully addressed a leaky fork seal using the motion pro or risk racing seal cleaning tool to remove debris. The motion pro one is like $6 and worth a try first.

cooper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cooper »

malcolmzilla wrote:I have successfully addressed a leaky fork seal using the motion pro or risk racing seal cleaning tool to remove debris. The motion pro one is like $6 and worth a try first.
Where does one aquire one of these seal cleaning tools.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

You can also use a piece of film negative, if you can find one, just cut the perforated edges off first.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

cedric wrote:You can also use a piece of film negative, if you can find one, just cut the perforated edges off first.
I leave the perf edges on the 35mm film. Leaves a place for dirt to collect when I work the film under the seal. Be careful not to have a piece of the film tear off and get stuck under the seal. I have always found this trick is a short term fix and usually only last a couple of rides. Leaked fork oil all over you front brake really sucks.
#Z3B

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

If you just bought the bike and they're leaking, I would definitely change them. Yamaha fork seals always seem to leak prematurely, get All Balls or something similar. Call the guy you bought the bike from and get him to give you the owners manual, it has all the info in it. No need for a seperate shop manual on a Yamaha.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

All balls are good, I had really good luck with msr seals because the wipers are extemely good at keeping the dirt off the seals....cheap too. The best are Kawasaki KX450F KYB 48mm oem seals but you have to order them through Blackfoot.
CR250R

cooper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cooper »

Thanks for info i think ill try to do this this weekend. it doesnt leak per say but the forks look wet.

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

SKF seals have changed my leaky-fork life!! A tiny bit pricier than OEM Jap seals, slightly cheaper for European bikes... worth every cent.
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

cycleworks wrote:SKF seals have changed my leaky-fork life!! A tiny bit pricier than OEM Jap seals, slightly cheaper for European bikes... worth every cent.
x2
#Z3B

Ferrari
User
User

Post by Ferrari »

I have an '04 wr250 and damaged the seals by strapping my bike down too tight. In fact I damaged my son's XR250 fork seals too. It costs about $350 for a pair to have a shop do it. I now use a shock saver which you place between the tire and the underside of the front fender, then tie down the bike. It limits the amount of shock compression and makes for a more secure tie down. I use them on all my bikes. They cost $20 at any of the local dealers.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

A chunk of 4"x4" does it too. :cheers:
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

kawasakijockey
Writer
Writer

Post by kawasakijockey »