Snapped Kickstart Bolt, Snapped Easy Out, Now what?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Twitchmx
User
User

Snapped Kickstart Bolt, Snapped Easy Out, Now what?

Post by Twitchmx »

So I was riding out in BC last weekend and I stopped to have a look around the bike. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but when I went to kick it over
again the kickstarter felt loose, sure enough I slid it off the splines and noticed that somehow the bolt had sheared off somewhere from riding that day. :confused:

So tonight I carefully drilled into the bolt, first with a #40, then a 1/8 for my snap on easy out, started the easy out in and after a turn or two it snapped off inside the bolt!

I've got a few ideas I'm gonna try tomorrow but has anyone on here ran into an issue like that before? I know this subject has been beat to death all over the internet but
maybe someone with a bike has safer/better idea than someone with a tractor or truck haha.

Thanks!

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Snapped Kickstart Bolt, Snapped Easy Out, Now what?

Post by primerib72 »

Kind of bike are you riding? Is it a 2005+ yz250? Reason I am asking is because they have been know to to break at the kick shaft but there is an pretty easy and economical fix.
CR250R

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Did the same thing to my shifter bolt. You'd be surprised how loose the easy out is in there.
I carefully tried to drill mine out and it eventually spun out.
Make sure to center punch it though since its hard metal. Much harder then the cast aluminum.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Should all that fail. Take it to Derek at Trilllion and ask him to weld a peace of rod on the bolt so you can turn it out. If he can’t get at the bolt remove the engine and seal it up. :crybaby: Then take it to Fidelity Machine and have them EDM it out.
I know the last option sucks but it’s better than riding around with the shifter in your pocket. :smirk:
Fidelity
5034 – 80th AveSE Calgary AlbertaT2C 2X3Phone: 403-724-0008Fax: 403-724-0006

Trillion
403 243 0036
Bay #2 4623, Manilla Rd. SE
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

what does EDM stand for?
#Z3B

Twitchmx
User
User

Post by Twitchmx »

There isn't much room to weld anything though thats what makes me nervous about that. I'm gonna take it to work
on monday and try drilling the easy out out with some carbide bits since my air compressor sucks at home.

If that doesn't work I may resort to trying to weld something.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

axel99 wrote:what does EDM stand for?
electric discharge machine............pretty neat stuff. You can burn a hole smaller then 1/64 " :)

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Twitchmx wrote:There isn't much room to weld anything though thats what makes me nervous about that. I'm gonna take it to work
on monday and try drilling the easy out out with some carbide bits since my air compressor sucks at home.

If that doesn't work I may resort to trying to weld something.
Use a tig and a set of steady hands and you will be fine. If you shake even after your morning coffee, maybe consider taking it to Derek at Trillion. :smirk: Best tig welder I've seen in a long time.
Depending on the bike pulling the motor is not that bad, just a little time consuming. EDM will cost about $60 to $80 bucks.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

rogue wrote:
axel99 wrote:what does EDM stand for?
electric discharge machine............pretty neat stuff. You can burn a hole smaller then 1/64 " :)
Very cool....in the context of surveying it stands of "Electromagnetic Distance Measurement". Basically a laser, usually infrared that can measure long distances(kms) with a accuracy of a to a couple of mm.
#Z3B

Twitchmx
User
User

Post by Twitchmx »

Well it is possible to get an easy out out. You just need a carbide bit to grind away at the easy out. We used one at work today with a little ball
on the end. Then once it was out we opened the hole up a bit more to fit a larger easy out and it came out pretty easy. Took all of maybe 10 minutes.
Whoever put the bolt in used about half the bottle of locktite though haha.

I'm sure this will help someone out down the road. Thanks for your input guys!

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Glad you won!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------