drz400 coolant seepage

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Zook
Journalist
Journalist

drz400 coolant seepage

Post by Zook »

Just fired up the DRZ400e to see if it still runs. Like a clock.
However, upon warming it up to operating temp, I noticed coolant seeping from the bottom of the water pump, where it attaches to the motor. It did not leak any coolant over winter storage and does not seep/weep/leak when cold.
Catastrophic water pump failure? Just a leaky seal or gasket?
Discuss. :thinking:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

Bruce
Writer
Writer

Re: drz400 coolant seepage

Post by Bruce »

Could be the o-ring seal on the shaft. Some have a tiny hole drilled in the casting... I bet if it sits a while the o-ring gets a bit crusty. Like me! lol
'09 Husaberg FE 570
'10 Ducati Multistrada S

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

My yamy did the same thing...there should be 2 seals on the impeller shaft, one for the oil, one for the coolant. Probably only cost you $10 for the part and six pack to install.
CR250R

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

primerib72 wrote:My yamy did the same thing...there should be 2 seals on the impeller shaft, one for the oil, one for the coolant. Probably only cost you $10 for the part and six pack to install.
Thanks for that, Brad.
Didn't know the shop took payment in 6-packs. :smirk:
I'll check for impeller-shaft seals at local Suz dealers and go from there.
Great ride on Wed, by the way. :cheers: Wouldn't mind trying that again. I need to work on those hills some more. :blush:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

This came from a post on 4strokes.com and comes with a small diagram.

Leaky Water Pump Fix
Many people have had a problem with a leaky water pump on their DRZ400. Replacing parts almost always fails to solve the problem. The problem is a design flaw, not a blown seal. The water pump leak can be fixed with a little RTV. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing; it's a generic term for a silicone adhesive/sealant. Permatex is one company that makes RTV. Any brand or color RTV is fine. All you have to do is put a tiny bit of RTV at the base of the (rubber part) seal between the impeller and seal where it meets the shaft. In other words apply RTV to this seal to make it fit the impeller shaft tighter. Make sure to let the RTV dry for at least 24 hours before adding coolant.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/suzuki/drz400su.asp

Thumpertalk also has a thread or two about this.

If I understand correctly, they're saying silicone around the seal where it meets the shaft is the fix. I, of course, couldn't tell an impeller shaft from an elevator shaft, so it goes without saying I'll need someone to hold my hand when I try and put this all together. :blush:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have done the rtv waterpump shaft seal fix and it solved my leak. PM me can supervise. Might even have an extra pump kicking.

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

malcolmzilla wrote:I have done the rtv waterpump shaft seal fix and it solved my leak. PM me can supervise. Might even have an extra pump kicking.
Thanks. I'm hoping it's just an RTV fix. Pump appears to be working normally and I'm not seeing any fluid cross-contamination. :thumbsup:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

That image in the tech article is misleading, you do not pull that seal off, rather fill the void between the collar its on and the shaft with RTV, as the coolant leaks through there along the shaft, the press fit is not tight enough to prevent leakage. IIRC not a big deal, drain coolant, remove pump, one finicky snap ring and a certain order of operations. Or you can ride with it like that for 2 years as I did, but no one likes a leaker and a pain to top up! Have you done the other loctite fixes and the manual tensioner?