Twisted/leaking/crushed rads

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Twisted/leaking/crushed rads

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

I found a ad in Dirt Rider, where this radiator business fixes twisted/crushed and leaking rads. I sent my bent rad away, and here are the results.
ImageImage

The name of the rad business is Myler's, and here is the email address if anyone is interested:www.motorcycleradiators.com
They promise a 1 day turn around, and I payed less than half, of a new radiator. I don't think there is anyone in Calgary that does this kind of work. They are situated in West Jordan, Utah

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Damn, not too bad..

But did you try searching E-bay for used rads?? I see some good ones on there sometimes for different bikes. Might be a bit cheaper, but this is definitly another option!
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Looks good. How long did it take? I've heard good things about Myler's on other forums but avoided them because of the border. What kind of paper work was required?

I've used Top's Radiator in town here. They did my rad, was worse than yours and it came back straight with no leaks. They've done 2 of my rads. $80 and $100. The welds don't look as clean as that though but they were done in 1 day. :thumbsup:

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Shibby! wrote:Damn, not too bad..

But did you try searching E-bay for used rads?? I see some good ones on there sometimes for different bikes. Might be a bit cheaper, but this is definitly another option!
Yeah, I checked Ebay. But used rads for my bike, are still selling for over $100 after you get done with shipping and everything.

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

dirtyboy wrote:Looks good. How long did it take? I've heard good things about Myler's on other forums but avoided them because of the border. What kind of paper work was required?

I've used Top's Radiator in town here. They did my rad, was worse than yours and it came back straight with no leaks. They've done 2 of my rads. $80 and $100. The welds don't look as clean as that though but they were done in 1 day. :thumbsup:
I sent the rad on Dec.24 and got it back on Jan.6th. Not to bad considering it was right in the middle of Christmas. To send, I just filled out a regular customs form. I was quite shocked at how fast it got down there. They called me on the 27th to say it was fixed + they wanted payment. It cost me $76 U.S to get it fixed, so I guess they charge about the same as Top Radiator here. Didn't realize that I could get that kind of work done here. :excuse:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

at that turnaround pace thats probably not your rad your getting back. They probably have a stock pile and just fix them and return them. Not a bad thing, its great for return times!
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

fife
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fife »

I've had both my rads fixed a couple of times and eventually replaced. I had it done at Calgary radiator just off of Blackfoot. I can't remember what the cost each time was but around 100 ish. If I could have bought a good used ones when I had to finally replace them I would have @ 375+tax each they were not cheap. I've also since bought devol rad guards which were around the hundred mark and not had any problems since. I'm not sure if its the guards or slowing down and not hitting stuff as much, whatever the reason I'll be happy to never have to buy another rad. I believe the honda stuff is less expensive for some reason.

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Shibby! wrote:at that turnaround pace thats probably not your rad your getting back. They probably have a stock pile and just fix them and return them. Not a bad thing, its great for return times!
I'm pretty sure it was the rad I sent.

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

fife wrote:I've had both my rads fixed a couple of times and eventually replaced. I had it done at Calgary radiator just off of Blackfoot. I can't remember what the cost each time was but around 100 ish. If I could have bought a good used ones when I had to finally replace them I would have @ 375+tax each they were not cheap. I've also since bought devol rad guards which were around the hundred mark and not had any problems since. I'm not sure if its the guards or slowing down and not hitting stuff as much, whatever the reason I'll be happy to never have to buy another rad. I believe the honda stuff is less expensive for some reason.
Yeah, I bought rad guards, right after I smashed the rad. I bent it on the first ride on the bike. :banghead:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

City Wide Radiator is excellent. They have fixed my smashed rads 4 times already and every time they were twice as bad as yours. 2 of the times they were really twisted too. They do a lot of bike rads. They can custom build new rads for you as well. They are located just up the hill from Blackfoot cycle on Blackfoot trail.
For a smaller dent such as yours, they would probably charge $50 or $60 and it's usually done in about 2 days.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Big Dog wrote:City Wide Radiator is excellent. They have fixed my smashed rads 4 times already and every time they were twice as bad as yours. 2 of the times they were really twisted too. They do a lot of bike rads. They can custom build new rads for you as well. They are located just up the hill from Blackfoot cycle on Blackfoot trail.
For a smaller dent such as yours, they would probably charge $50 or $60 and it's usually done in about 2 days.
Thanks for the info Brent. I dropped off your coolant at Dennis's shop.
Dave