A guy walks into a motorcycle store . . .

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: A guy walks into a motorcycle store . . .

Post by cladoo »

Hendrix13 wrote:
Dobi wrote:I may be riding an 09 200xc. I may be late in line to get on 11 300xc. I am giving a good look at the gas gas (mostly just to screw with Zeal) as the new six days 300 looks very sweet (and I have an old set of springs to fit the forks so I am half way there....)

I do miss my 4 stroke and the new Dirt Bike mag rates the 11 450SX as a very good off-road bike.... :thumbsup:
Wow the 300 sixdays is a gorgeous bike. Where did you say you could get one again :)
Only problem I see is there's no little red button by the throttle :thinking:
It comes with it. It is shipped with switch on the rad hose, you have to move it up to the bars. If you are talking about estart then you need to buy the EC not the Six Days model or order the estart kit for around $900.00.
Last edited by cladoo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claude

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

steve-o wrote:Gas Gas probably does make really good bikes. I tried one (300 namb) briefly and really like the power delivery and suspension.

One major beef I would have for Gas Gas is that they don't hold thier value worth a sludge. You'll buy the bike in the Spring for 8500 and then in the fall certain dealers will have the same bike new for 6500 or less as they want to flog off al their excess inventory or do a special shipment of left over inventory from the factory, all in turn making your bike worth about 5500 bucks. Too much of a hit for me to try that brand.

Dobi - Husky is making a big presence these days. I'd curious to try one of their 300's too. If you can get your hands on one to try that would be interesting too. I think you can get one (2010 new) for 7 grand all in right now too.

I'm sure no matter what you pick it'll be a good choice for you!

How much does the 350xcf weigh?
Try selling a used Husqvarna.
Claude

mediumdee
User
User

Post by mediumdee »

H*ll ya :cheers: Nice work Zook, really looking forward to seeing you on that machine :thumbsup: I volunteer as your sweeper this summer. new bike means you are banned from the back of the pack. Great... more orange dust :smirk: ilovemybluebike
08 WR450F
Don't Panic!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Medium, you're up next to make the jump over :lol:

Zook, Good move getting the 2 stroke, you're gonna love it.
The voices are back. Awesome!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

cladoo wrote:
Hendrix13 wrote: Only problem I see is there's no little red button by the throttle :thinking:
If you are talking about estart then you need to buy the EC not the Six Days model or order the estart kit for around $900.00.
How much is a 2011 6 days 300 Gas Gas?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

CDN MSRP;

Cross Country 300 $8045.00
Cross Country 300 Six Days $8395.00
Cross Country 300 Electric Start $8395.00
The regular EC300 is $8045.00
EC300 Electric Start $8595.00
EC300 Six Days $8595.00

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

steve-o wrote:
One major beef I would have for Gas Gas is that they don't hold thier value worth a sludge.
Thing is, the GasGas is getting MAJOR solid reviews of late...Brent says its the best bush bike he has ridden, which says a fair bit given the bikes he has tortured the past 5 years, Dirt Rider calls it the new KTM Killer, everyone else I know that has one says they are the bike to get over a KTM hands down. So I think the theory that they dont hold their value will soon be put to rest.

Wow has this thread been de-railed.

Congrats on the bike!

( maybe the mods should just lock this one down before I get mid-evil on Steve-O :D )

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

MotorEd wrote:
steve-o wrote:
One major beef I would have for Gas Gas is that they don't hold thier value worth a sludge.
Thing is, the GasGas is getting MAJOR solid reviews of late...Brent says its the best bush bike he has ridden, which says a fair bit given the bikes he has tortured the past 5 years, Dirt Rider calls it the new KTM Killer, everyone else I know that has one says they are the bike to get over a KTM hands down. So I think the theory that they dont hold their value will soon be put to rest.

Wow has this thread been de-railed.

Congrats on the bike!

( maybe the mods should just lock this one down before I get mid-evil on Steve-O :D )
Ya you are right! De-railed! Zook - I still think you should try and get your money back :devil: well OK then CONGRATS!

Motored - I agree with you, people I know with them love them. and again I'm sure they are great bikes. Once their presence is established and they hold their value I'd look at buying one. One thing I'd like to see on them is a larger stock tank, and greater aftermarket accessory availability too.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

MotorEd wrote:( maybe the mods should just lock this one down before I get mid-evil on Steve-O :D )
What....don't kill it. This is the most active thread on the forum right now :applause:

It's 20 below and snowing...all we got is dreaming about new bikes. :smirk:

Anyways...the forum title is "A guy walks into a motorcycle store..." I think we're still on topic.

Zook, you may want to look into a steering damper. After plowing through everything on the trail with that "OLD" bike of yours, you're going to feel every bump and rock on the trail that you didn't know was there before. I know when I went from my crf450x to the 300xc I was pretty twitchy at first. Of course, now it's nice that when you go to make a turn, you're bike actually turns :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Zook, it sounds like you are planning to do the best thing to your bike right away, and that is get the correct springs for your weight and set the sags up properly.

Fork sag (static): 65-70mm (30-45mm)
Sag (static): 112mm (38mm)

Once you ride it and if the forks feel a little stiff, move the sag up to 110mm and test again. :D

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

mediumdee wrote:H*ll ya :cheers: Nice work Zook, really looking forward to seeing you on that machine :thumbsup: I volunteer as your sweeper this summer. new bike means you are banned from the back of the pack. Great... more orange dust :smirk: ilovemybluebike
That ok Darren, all we have to do is twist the throttle and they won't be able to hear there own bikes :lol:
CR250R

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Post by Ricktc »

I borrowed Paul's Six Days 250 (2010) from Endurotek for a day to ride this fall, here is what I found:

-Motor was very smooth, torquey, much like a 300, just down on power a bit. Rainy day switch rules.
-Suspension, albeit not set up for me, was very harsh in the fork, shock felt good. Made for sore wrists after a short time, even after adjusting clickers to not much avail.
-Ergonomics were good for me, everything worked well for my frame (5'9'' 155 lbs) except for the fact that the shrouds are the most uncomfortable things my knees have ever felt. I squeeze a lot with my knees both sitting and standing and they were REALLY sore after a 4 hour ride.
-Fit and finish of the bike was top notch, the hydraulic clutch was awesome, though it did make some wierd whirring noise under heavy load/feathering.
-The bike didn't want to lay over and/or turn. Probably could have used a bit more sag since Paul is heavier than me, but just didn't want to settle into corners or change direction easily for me. However, this translated into a very stable feeling at speed.

All this being said, I am glad I rode one extensively first before buying, and 3 days later I went out and bought an '08 KTM 300.

-Rick