A guy walks into a motorcycle store . . .

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Re: A guy walks into a motorcycle store . . .

Post by justinKX »

kx250 zook :)
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Zook do not get the XC-F,you will hate that bike on a wet day in McLean.Although I prefer the closed cartridge blader forks which are also 2 lbs. lighter than the open cartridge forks, the XCF-W is for you. :cheers:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

There are many opinions on what to buy and what is best. In the end the best is the bike that you feel will work for you, whether it’s a 2t or 4t.

My experience going from 4t to 2t is a unique one. My old DR was only ridden a handful of times (9 - 10) by myself and I was riding or trying to ride it 2t style from what I remember from 20 years ago. You could say this new bike has brought me back to my roots. I haven’t been riding a 4t for the past 6 years so I’m not used to 4t power.

Your experience will likely tell you something different. If you are most comfortable on a 4t because of the way the power is delivered, stay with a 4t. But, don’t rule out the other bikes on the market just yet. Try as many different bikes as you can lay your hands on.

I’m certain that you can find a 300 GG to try as well as a KTM 300 (make sure you try these with the different ignition maps!). Same goes for the WR450 and possibly a KTM 450 as well. Even if you try one and someone has another of the same model for you to try, take it! Everyone will set up their bikes differently and you’ll get a better idea of what each is capable of by riding them.

Each ride will take you closer to your new bike.

My 2 cents.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

justinKX wrote:kx250 zook :)
Gang Green checks in with a big hitter. Nice. Don't know if the power delivery is as smooth as the old Jawa CZ250 I used to rip around the Coast back in the day. :D
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Zook wrote:
justinKX wrote:kx250 zook :)
Gang Green checks in with a big hitter. Nice. Don't know if the power delivery is as smooth as the old Jawa CZ250
:lol: :lol: :lol:

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

If you don't pull the trigger on a new bike beforehand, lets go for a ride when I get back from work in the Yukon, you can try out my 530. The suspension and bars are set up for guys our size.

I'll be back by the 15th of Sept.

Mark
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

Having been on a ton of rides with you I am not sure a 2t fits your style? You have some offers on modern 4t 450's and you can ride mine too. The new suspensions are way better than yours and new 450's are cheaper than the used 300's.
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

you can take my 2010 450 xcw for a ride next time i see you,i had a 2008 530 before and this 450 is a dream compared to it handles awesome and climbs most anything.I agree the xcf wold not be a good choice.

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

markvfr, take a bow. :nworthy: Am I spying a hue of pumpkin on that cherry Eastern Bloc slab? One look at that carb tells me jetting would be a snap. For what it's worth, the beat-up Jawa enduro I rode back in the day had a bright orange and yellow tank. They were way ahead of their time.:thumbsup:

And yes, J.D., my current riding style may not fit a 2T profile. I will definitely have to change my style for 2T. To that end, Brass came over today and helped me install some new bars on the 400e -- and fix my forks, and bleed my brakes, and lube my steering stem (too late for the bearings, they're pooched. Winter project).

The bars are taller (Renthal RC High; $20 off Bruce at the Feb. RMDRA swap meet), so I'm hoping I'll be able to stand without feeling like I'm going to tip over the front of the bike. Maybe even work the throttle harder while I'm actually standing. That would be a change.:eek:

And if I don't go 2T, Lid, your Orange 530 (or 'Berg 570) will be high on the list, despite the fact GDG530 likes his new 450 XC-W way more than the 530. Overkill has always appealed to me (can't explain), so those big-bore 4Ts will be targets if I just can't fully grasp the 2T protocol. The thing that concerns me about the big 'Berg is that the sub-frame is poly-resin (plastic). :eek:

I look forward to riding all your bikes in my quest for a new single-track slayer. :lol:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Zook wrote:Brass came over today and helped me install some new bars on the 400e
I can't believe you hadn't bent the bejeezers out of the stock bars already. I did a double take when I saw them on there. They were even straight. You must never fall over.

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

I can't believe you hadn't bent the bejeezers out of the stock bars already. I did a double take when I saw them on there. They were even straight. You must never fall over.
I fall over, a lot. That's why I sweep, so no one can see me. :D I just pick the "soft spots" to pitch the bike into while I bounce off the rocks. :lol:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

Upon further review, that Jawa I rode back in the day that I was talking about earlier in this thread was actually a CZ Enduro 250. It was a beat-up version of the machine pictured here. Nice orange paint job to be sure.
Attachments
1974-CZ-enduro-.jpg
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

It's official. I opted for the lighter version.

The similarities to that CZ250 I used to ride back in the day are quite striking. :smirk:
Attachments
ktm%20S.jpg
ktm%20S.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I'm sure i've seen that bike somewhere before :D

Nice ride Zook (does the name stay the same?). Is GiantJoe next :thinking:

Go throw some ice screws on and lets go for a ride :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

Thanks, Jamie. I'm still Zook (GS1100 and DRZ in garage).

Think I'll take a pass on the ice screws for now, though. Baby steps. :blush:

Going to let the seller give it a full bubble bath/setup before taking delivery. Very accommodating seller, to be sure. :)
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e