2 stroke engine guru needed

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: 2 stroke engine guru needed

Post by cedric »

steve-o wrote:This could be. However I once had a honda 250 and what cause it to stop was a chunk of ring (or piston, can't remember which) that got lodged between the outer portion of the con rod and the case. I jabbed it out and, cleaned er' up and the crank and rod moved freely. New piston and rings, cylinder service and she was golden. I'm not saying this will be the case for you but you never know.
That might work to get it running again and the bike could run great for years, but if it was mine, I'd take it apart and at least look at it before I trusted it to haul my butt into the backcountry. The bike is a 6+ years old, and I'm guessing this is the original crank, it's probably due anyway. If you take it apart and everything looks great and measures ok, put it back together and you're only out a few gaskets and time and you'd have peace of mind. Would hate to have it come apart and ruin a big weekend or something down the line. Just my opinion.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

cedric wrote: That might work to get it running again and the bike could run great for years, but if it was mine, I'd take it apart and at least look at it before I trusted it to haul my butt into the backcountry. The bike is a 6+ years old, and I'm guessing this is the original crank, it's probably due anyway. If you take it apart and everything looks great and measures ok, put it back together and you're only out a few gaskets and time and you'd have peace of mind. Would hate to have it come apart and ruin a big weekend or something down the line. Just my opinion.
Cedric does have the best advice here. I did just do my fix to get er' going and it ended up sold shortly thereafter and replaced it with my first KTM, a wicked fast 200!! Man I miss that bike, it was so much fun!

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

If the crank does not move with your cylinder off, it isnt going to be pretty down below....

looks as if the piston had too much play up top (worn bearing in rod piston side) and the skirt hit one of the ports.

You most likely need a rehone as I doubt your cylinder has no damage. not doing this will wear your rings out, prevent proper lubrication of the cylinder & have blow-by on the rings pressuring up your crankcase, blowing seals and gaskets.

If you have larger pieces missing (looks like some big ones are missing), you need to look down in the bottom, if you see ANYTHING down there, odds are they have got into the crank bearings. And into your crank seals.

It is better to split the cases and make sure everything is good and done .Spend 3-4 hours splitting your case and making sure everything is clean and debris free. or be 5 hours from home when your bottom end goes and you got a VERY long walk home and even more $ to put into your bike (rod, bearings, cylinder, head, piston)

www.cylplate.com -jim titmus
Last edited by KanadianIceMan on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I could look at it Eric.
Claude

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »