Bike Ramp

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Bike Ramp

Post by bikingagain »

Any thoughts on what type of ramp works best for the back of a truck. ie: metal bracket with a 2x8, Princess Auto, etc. It is a 6'6 truck bed and am thinking that something wide or maybe two would be nice, so I can walk beside it. Until I grow a pair and ride up :lol: . P.S. I just bought a truck today...no more mini van for me :applause:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bike Ramp

Post by 350scott »

What kind of truck did you buy? A 2x8 works and is cheap but they do flex pretty good. Depending on what you want to spend, two folding aluminum ramps or a triple wide aluminum quad ramp are real nice.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Floor joist from a construction sight... Excellent value and mods to make it perfect are cheap and easily accomplished by anyone above the level of "canadas worst handyman". I can email you a list of what alterations must be made, along with specific instructions for $10. Riding into the truck bed is possible with this cheap kit but would void any implied warranty.

What most people with their fancy steel/ aluminium ramps forget is that in an emergency or somekind of crisis (buddy locked your keys in your new truck) my ramp is an excellent source of firewood, and we all know that in a survival type situation starting a fire is the #1 priority. If you reply within the next 20 mins I will also send plans on how to use it for shelter, make a ktm trap, protect yourself from bears and finally how to turn it into a post ride bar that will be the envy of all your lameassed riding buddies, all this for only $5.45!

Call NOW!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

thirtyseven wrote:Floor joist from a construction sight... Excellent value and mods to make it perfect are cheap and easily accomplished by anyone above the level of "canadas worst handyman". I can email you a list of what alterations must be made, along with specific instructions for $10. Riding into the truck bed is possible with this cheap kit but would void any implied warranty.

What most people with their fancy steel/ aluminium ramps forget is that in an emergency or somekind of crisis (buddy locked your keys in your new truck) my ramp is an excellent source of firewood, and we all know that in a survival type situation starting a fire is the #1 priority. If you reply within the next 20 mins I will also send plans on how to use it for shelter, make a ktm trap, protect yourself from bears and finally how to turn it into a post ride bar that will be the envy of all your lameassed riding buddies, all this for only $5.45!

Call NOW!
Always trying to make a buck to buy spare parts for that Yamaha! But to 37's surprise here I'll agree with him. Just be careful if you decide to take him up on the 'buy it now' instruction deal. He has personally burnt many of these units himself when locking his keys in the truck and himself out and since he hasn't been able to write legibly because of inhaling all the burning glue fumes emitted from the osb portion of the joist.

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

thirtyseven wrote:Floor joist from a construction sight... Excellent value and mods to make it perfect are cheap and easily accomplished by anyone above the level of "canadas worst handyman". I can email you a list of what alterations must be made, along with specific instructions for $10. Riding into the truck bed is possible with this cheap kit but would void any implied warranty.

Call NOW!
:lol: :smirk: :lol: :applause:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

Grumps
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grumps »

I really like my ReadyRamp. See readyramp dot com. It is a combination of ramp and truck bed extender all in one. Truck Outfitters carries them in Calgary. But as already mentioned, depends how much you want to spend.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

what 37 and steve-o said...

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

When searching for ramps this year I initially purchased the 'almost plastic' aluminum ramp from princess auto that folds out. They were returned the next day for being basically junk in terms of quality. I purchased new ones from canadian tire that were on sale and were the only ramps I could find long enough to make pushing into my f350 managable after being tired from a ride. They have an arc at the top so you just need to get the front wheel over the initial jump. Im not sure what kinda truck your using but if it's anything in the f350/3500HD ride height, id avoid straight ramps. A guy gets tired after a long ride ya know!

If you can get away with using a shorter wooden ramp then do it, if not then the ones I picked up do the trick.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Call NOW!
:smirk: You forgot to mention " + shipping and handling"
#Z3B

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

get a truck one at bowcycle at their sale this week

http://www.bowcycle.com/bm10/pa-specials.html?start=1

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

This ramp is pretty neat-o: http://www.ogio.com/product/view/64/Step-Up-Ramp

Though a bit pricey at $154 USD.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

250scott wrote:What kind of truck did you buy? A 2x8 works and is cheap but they do flex pretty good. Depending on what you want to spend, two folding aluminum ramps or a triple wide aluminum quad ramp are real nice.
I just bought a 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 :applause:

I have used the floor joist before and they worked quite well. If i buy a set from "thirtyseven" do I get a free Sham-Wow? :lol:

Do any of the ones at Bow Cycle jump out at anyone as being pretty decent?

Thanks for all the other input, I love posting questions and getting all the great responsed... :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

bikingagain wrote:If i buy a set from "thirtyseven" do I get a free Sham-Wow? :lol:
No, they are all being used to mop up oil slicks in the Gulf.

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

I've got a tri-fold aluminum ramp, I can't remember whether it came for C-Tire or Princess Auto, but the quality is decent. I added some "Super Glides" to it to make it less treacherous to walk on and strengthen it, and it works great for loading my bike and my sled into my F350.

When I go with a buddy of mine we push the bikes up an old 2X10 it we manage just fine, but I don't like flimsy ramps, and I like to be able to walk up beside the bike, so for me, the wider tri-fold is the way to go.

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Check out the sale at Bow Cycle starting today. I picked up a folding ramp at this sale 2 years ago for around $100. http://www.bowcycle.com/bm10/pa-specials.html?start=1

Moose folding ramp about $100. 6 foot ramp for $49, both in aluminum.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim