WR250F or WR450F... Can't Decide

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: WR250F or WR450F... Can't Decide

Post by 350scott »

You should be more than happy with the 250x. I don't race either and have never had an issue keeping up with anyone on a bigger bike (unless they were just plain better than me).

As for maintenance, if my experience is anything to go by, change the oil often and keep the filter clean. I don't use an hour meter but my regimen is as follows: engine oil every other ride, transmission oil and oil filter every fourth ride. I now actually do the oil filter every other ride because I bought a reusable stainless filter. I try to clean the oil filter after every ride. With this regimen I've had none of the dreaded valve issues. I had the valves checked and adjusted the first season after 8 rides and have had them checked three more times since then and they've been in spec every time. Don't know if it helps, but my oil of choice is Shell Rotella T full synthetic diesel oil.

Stuff to get for your bike. Get rad guards and get em quick, the CRF250's have notoriously destructable rad's. I've got Flatland racing guards and have never had any overheating or rad damage issues. Also, assuming you've got the stock handlebars, plan to replace them, because you will bend them. Lastly, when it comes time to replace tires, avoid 120 or larger rears, it still a little 250 and doesn't like trying to pull the bigger tire.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

Great advise! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some pointers. Those rad guards look good. Did you buy them off the web?

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I can get you Flatland guards or check out Canadian made Scorpion guards http://www.scorpionracing.ca/
Claude

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

I ordered the flatland racing rad guards and skid plate from their website. Too bad the CDN $$ is taking such a hit these days. The exchange rate hurts :thumbsdown: