Octane Booster

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
blkrm

Octane Booster

Post by blkrm »

I was wondering, with a 2-stroke, if anyone adds octane booster to their pre-mix? Are there any issues with doing so?
More specifically an '02 RM 125. Any recommendations on a brand to go with? :confused:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Octane Booster

Post by trailguy »

Most octane boosters are useless, I only know of 2 that are any good. VP C5 & Lucas Oils octane booster. For the last 17 years I've run Shell Gold with octane booster & Optimol Opti 2 @ 80:1.This has been run in KTM 125 & 200's & the last 3 years in my son's very high strung KTM SX 50. Alot of people run race gas in SX 50's because they have a nasty habit of turning into grenades. Up until last summer I had run C5, but the flakey VP dealer in Calgary was out of C5 for 6 weeks. You can get Lucas products Auto Value dealers.I believe the Lucas octane booster is even better than VP. Whatever you do don't run anything but Shell Gold in that RM 125, mix your oil/gas at what the oil manufacter recomends - not what your manual says, some oils are developed to run at 20:1 others are 100:1. :thumbsup:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

You can trust trailguy. He is a straight shooter, knows his stuff and has experience. :thumbsup:

blkrm

Post by blkrm »

Right on Thanks a lot. Yeah, I only use shell gas for my bikes. And yeah Lucas products are in my opinion far superior to other brands. Well I will try that and see if I can get any more juice out of her. Thanks again for the help!

Hollywood
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hollywood »

trailguy wrote:Most octane boosters are useless, I only know of 2 that are any good. VP C5 & Lucas Oils octane booster. For the last 17 years I've run Shell Gold with octane booster & Optimol Opti 2 @ 80:1.This has been run in KTM 125 & 200's & the last 3 years in my son's very high strung KTM SX 50. Alot of people run race gas in SX 50's because they have a nasty habit of turning into grenades. Up until last summer I had run C5, but the flakey VP dealer in Calgary was out of C5 for 6 weeks. You can get Lucas products Auto Value dealers.I believe the Lucas octane booster is even better than VP. Whatever you do don't run anything but Shell Gold in that RM 125, mix your oil/gas at what the oil manufacter recomends - not what your manual says, some oils are developed to run at 20:1 others are 100:1. :thumbsup:
I run opti-2 as well, some of my friends run 50:1 on it some 60:1, Im a little scared to run it at 80:1. I used to run it at 50:1 but I think its too oil rich so I'm going to start running it at 60:1.

On time my friend accidently made it 40:1....smoke machine anyone??
Adrian D.
07 GasGas 300EC