rekluse or not to rekluse, that is the question...

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Rekluse

Post by 350scott »

Jamie,

You know my opinion on this one. I think the Rekluse with rear brake is great thing. I think you will agree it has made me faster.

My question for you is...are you looking at getting the rear brake kit? As much as I like the Rekluse, I'm not sure if I would have gone for it without the rear brake kit.

Clutch-The Pros:
-No stalling
-Simple install
-Less fatigue. It significatly reduces armpump.
-Downhills. As you know, I like to freewheel down hills like a mountain bike. I used to have to hold the clutch on down hills. Now I just upshift to drop the RPM's below the engagement point, then shift back down. If I want engine braking, it's just a blip of the throttle away.
-Makes you faster, particularly in the thighter stuff (anything 1st or 2nd gear). You have little brain power, and wasting what little you have on the clutch slows you down. This was my primary driver for getting it, as I possibly have less brain power than you.

Clutch-The Con's
-You can't use the transmission as a parking brake on hills.
-Not cheap.
-After you crash you need to be careful when you pick your bike back up, 'cause it's still running. If you accidentally twist the throttle while picking your bike up you get to watch it move a couple feet away from you and fall over again, still happily running.

Bar Mount Rear Brake-The Pro's
-More brake feel than you could ever dream of with a foot brake. The only time you skid the rear on downhills is if you want to.
-Turning left or right, braking is the same.
-Much easier to manhandle your bike after you crash on a hill as you can use the brake without being on the bike.

Bar Mount Rear Brake-The Con's
-Less power. No way around this. The brake line is 3 times as long and your hand/lower arm will never be as strong as your foot/lower leg. This being said, I can still lock the rear on the trail anytime I need to.

Also, you asked about rad guards. For what it's worth I've got Flatland Racing guards and I've never overheated and the rads are still as straight as the day I bought the bike.

Anyother questions let me know. Happy new year as well.

Scott

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

I've had Rekluse clutches in 2 of my bikes. Liked it on my KTM 400EXC, except there is a bet of maintenance involved on the older style Rekluse clutches. I hated it on my Honda CRF 450R. I could never get it setup properly on the bike,(stalls, and clutch engaging issues) and felt more comfortable without the auto clutch. I guess it really depends on the type of bike you put it on. I know now, from past experiance, that if I did buy another auto clutch, it would be without a doubt, the Rekluse Pro.
z-Start versus z-Start Pro – which one is right for you?
Choose the z-Start Pro if you place a high value on any of the following features:

“Stock-like” clutch lever feel
100% override of clutch engagement at any RPM
Ease of installation
Reduced maintenance
Improved durability

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

stubble_jumper16 wrote:I've had Rekluse clutches in 2 of my bikes. Liked it on my KTM 400EXC, except there is a bet of maintenance involved on the older style Rekluse clutches. I hated it on my Honda CRF 450R. I could never get it setup properly on the bike,(stalls, and clutch engaging issues) and felt more comfortable without the auto clutch. I guess it really depends on the type of bike you put it on. I know now, from past experiance, that if I did buy another auto clutch, it would be without a doubt, the Rekluse Pro.
z-Start versus z-Start Pro – which one is right for you?
Choose the z-Start Pro if you place a high value on any of the following features:

“Stock-like” clutch lever feel
100% override of clutch engagement at any RPM
Ease of installation
Reduced maintenance
Improved durability
I've used a rekluse for several years (the old style) which is now in my '08. I've never had to do any maintenance - NONE - on them, and after two years my clutch plates still looked (and measured) like new! If you are planning on running a left hand rear brake the pro version is of no additional value to you, as you can not run both a brake lever and a hydraulic clutch lever off of one perch on the left side - keep that in mind when deciding which model to buy.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Rekluse

Post by thumper-darryl »

Have used Rekluse clutches on and off. As a trials rider I have good clutch skills so the Rekluse is of little use to me . Good side is no stalling, but with most bikes being electric start this is not an issue. The lack of a transmission park brake is a big issue to me making the draw-back much bigger than the bennefits. Still a tough call for many riders, but a Rekluse always helps newer riders to keep out of trouble, but the flip side is you should practice and refine clutch skills. Bikes that are prone to stalling are perfect for a Rekluse, but a tractor like big bore KTMs do not need it. Random thoughts.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Check out KTMTALK, you can run a LHB on the new Rekluse Pro. There are quite a few articles stating this. http://www.red450.smugmug.com/gallery/1450989#133666944
If you are planning on running a left hand rear brake the pro version is of no additional value to you, as you can not run both a brake lever and a hydraulic clutch lever off of one perch on the left side - keep that in mind when deciding which model to buy.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

stubble_jumper16 wrote:Check out KTMTALK, you can run a LHB on the new Rekluse Pro. There are quite a few articles stating this. http://www.red450.smugmug.com/gallery/1450989#133666944
If you are planning on running a left hand rear brake the pro version is of no additional value to you, as you can not run both a brake lever and a hydraulic clutch lever off of one perch on the left side - keep that in mind when deciding which model to buy.
'Course you can run a LHB on any of the rekluse set-ups, pro or not.

so looking at your linked pics... IF you create your own custom mount for the second perch you can, but like l said you can't run both the LHB and a hydraulic clutch off of ONE perch...

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

crazy2wheeler wrote:
stubble_jumper16 wrote:Check out KTMTALK, you can run a LHB on the new Rekluse Pro. There are quite a few articles stating this. http://www.red450.smugmug.com/gallery/1450989#133666944
'Course you can run a LHB on any of the rekluse set-ups, pro or not.

so looking at your linked pics... IF you create your own custom mount for the second perch you can, but like l said you can't run both the LHB and a hydraulic clutch off of ONE perch...
you would need an extra set of fingers to run that set-up. YIEEE :crazy:

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

Well I went with the Pro clutch with the LHB, and the cover instead of the thick gasket.

Thanks for all of your opinions, I will let you know mine after I give it a go! :cheers:

Jamie

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Rackman wrote:Well I went with the Pro clutch with the LHB, and the cover instead of the thick gasket.
So in other words, the whole shooting match!

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Rackman wrote:Well I went with the Pro clutch with the LHB, and the cover instead of the thick gasket.

Thanks for all of your opinions, I will let you know mine after I give it a go! :cheers:

Jamie
Put together one of those custom mounts and the double perch/double lever set-ups! I'd like to try that :crazy:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

up until the Rekluse Pro, it was a no way for me! the clutch is a weapon and should never be overlooked.
now that the rekluse pro is out and you still have 100% use of the clutch (we'll see about that!) i want to demo before i buy for my yz 450.
on a single cam 530 xcr-w with e start i would not instal, but that is my opinion.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

I agree with BigDog, and of course he knows far more than I do. I've had a LHB on my 400EXC, and it was nice, but I would much rather have 100% control over my clutch instead. Just my view, and on a side note, I would have to say Derik is a very lucky guy to have never done any maintenance to his old style rekluse clutch.

Hollywood
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hollywood »

Big Dog wrote:up until the Rekluse Pro, it was a no way for me! the clutch is a weapon and should never be overlooked.
now that the rekluse pro is out and you still have 100% use of the clutch (we'll see about that!) i want to demo before i buy for my yz 450.
on a single cam 530 xcr-w with e start i would not instal, but that is my opinion.
I am getting a pro for my bike as well, with the pro it supposed to be 100% manual clutch option but not 100% engine braking, but it's supposed to be noticebly better in engine braking than the non pro. One guy quoted it was 95% engine braking, where I think the non pro was around 60%.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Hollywood wrote:
Big Dog wrote:up until the Rekluse Pro, it was a no way for me! the clutch is a weapon and should never be overlooked.
I am getting a pro for my bike as well, with the pro it supposed to be 100% manual clutch option but not 100% engine braking, but it's supposed to be noticebly better in engine braking than the non pro. One guy quoted it was 95% engine braking, where I think the non pro was around 60%.
The "old style" provides for 100% engine braking - even on long steep descents where the completely closed and the bike is moving very slowly. If you lock up your rear wheel the rekluse will disconect the engine, but blip the throttle and it is again fully connected.

BTW, I've had that same "old style" rekluse in my '08 for several months now, without any need of adjustment or maintenance.

D.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

i would really like to give the pro a try. it would definately take away the fear of stalling the 450.

i have a bad habit of pulling in my clutch on downhills, so i guss the engine breaking being gone wouldn't be much of a change. i wonder what it is like going into corners when you chop the throttle?? does it free wheel like down a hill, or still have engine breaking?
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC